background

Why were the three youngest so frightened? Well, they had never really grown to trust anyone, as everyone could be a threat.
Living in an orphanage probably didn't help the whole trust thing much either. None of them had been born in the shelter, rather they had been deposited. Jimin first, Taehyung second, Jungkook last. Yet, they hadn't ended up at the same orphanage in the first go. For Jungkook it was his 3rd, Taehyung's 5th, and Jimin 7th. Constantly being moved from place to place, orphanages, group homes, foster houses. Nothing really worked. Nobody wanted to keep them. It you asked them, they would say it was a good thing. After the three had found each other, it was as though there had been a spark lit in their blood, and from then on, they stuck together. No matter what. Jungkook had been the most broken out of the trio, though neither knew why. They could take a few guesses though. But slowly, with the constant help from Taehyung and Jimin, he slowly began to get better.
They first time they had discovered their powers was when Jungkook had seen Jimin getting bullied at their new school. He had jumped in before Taehyung could do anything to stop him. Jungkook had grabbed the boy's arm so hard, a fire in his dyes. Jungkook when asked later, couldn't tell anything other than he had felt so, so angry. When Jungkook had heard the boy behind him in the floor whimper, pain too much for him, it has been as though a chord had snapped. The boy who Jungkook held had helped and began crying. Jimin touched Jungkook, whispering words to slowly calm him down. Jungkook released the kid, and there was a red burn mark on his arm, which the kid held with his other hand, cradling it, tears streaming.
"If you ever say anything about this, or target them again, I will know, and I will do worse." Jungkook promised, his voice deep with a threat.
Sure, it had traumatized a person, but it had easily connected the three orphans together. Upon discovering Jungkook had powers, the other two shared theirs. They began training, and learning how to control them.
But with this, something changed drastically. The three soon learned quickly of Jungkook's air elementary. The three of them assumed this was what partially helped Jungkook control his fire powers so well. And indeed, among the three of them, Jungkook definitely seemed to have the best control. At the same time, he was the most dangerous when he lost control. The two eldest realized this, and it was not difficult to see what caused him to loose control. It was them, whenever they were threatened.
On the day that Jungkook had saved Jimin from that stupid bully, he had also developed a deep attachment towards his two hyungs. He cared for them, worried over them, and protected him. They were his family, and wow be the one who hurt them.
Similarly, Jimin and Taehyung were protective of Jungkook and each other. It could be the fire which sings in each other them, but they didn't care enough to think about it. It became clear that they could only trust themselves, and each other.
The three would do anything to stay together. The System realized this the last time they tried separating them. Taehyung had been on the road, being sent to an orphanage in a different city. Needless to say, when Jimin found this out, he ran to Jungkook's school, they snuck out, and went after it. Wasn't too difficult. Jungkook used his air powers to pull them after it. The two then basically hijacked the van, and sat next to Taehyung, the people in the divers seat none the wiser. It wasn't until they were over three hours away and the back was opened that they saw the two with Taehyung. Needless to say, it became quite clear these three could not be separated. They didn't even bother asking how the two had known Taehyung had been leaving. Whether it was because they knew they wouldn't get a clear answer or because they didn't want to know, the three wouldn't question it.
The System has tried to separate them a few other times, similarly with Jungkook's last home, the two others of the three would figure it out, find them, get to them, and the three would run to a new city. After several attempts all ending the same way, they were placed in the orphanage they were in now.
The way Jungkook, Taehyung, and Jimin saw it, it was useless to trust others. They would either ditch you, hurt you, or they would expect something from you. After all, Jungkook, Taehyung, and Jimin had seen the worst humanity had to offer.

So what would happen when they saw a different side of it? Sure, Yoongi, Jin, Namjoon and Hoseok were gangsters. At the same time though, maybe what the rest of humanity sees as the worst is the best, and maybe what they think is best is the worst.