Chapter Seventy-Six

"Oh, Merlin," breathed Y/N, grasping James' arm

"Oh, Merlin," breathed Y/N, grasping James' arm. "James...the Ministry!"

Everyone in the Great Hall that day, which happened to be Halloween and a Hogsmeade weekend, was poring over the Daily Prophet. Voldemort and his Death Eaters had recently attacked the Ministry, and many of the students' parents, neighbors, or relatives worked there, including James' parents.

"'Aurors Daniel and Sarah Potter are one of the many Aurors who were at the scene shortly after the attack. No one was killed, but several Ministry workers were slightly injured."

"Merlin, Voldemort means business now. I mean, attacking the Ministry?" James looked very apprehensive after reading the sentence.

"He won't take over our world," said Y/N firmly. "After all, Dumbledore's the only one that he fears, so we'll be safe at Hogwarts. But what about my mum and dad? Voldemort knows who I am, and he kills Muggles and Muggle-borns." Her voice shook slightly as she said this.

"I won't let Voldemort get you, Y/N," said James, putting his arm around her. "Not you or your family. Ever."

Y/N smiled weakly, despite her doubt. "Thank you, James," she whispered.

"Well, well, if it isn't Potter and his Mudblood." Lucius Malfoy sneered at them, as he strolled over to the Gryffindor table.

"Bugger off, Malfoy," snapped James. "We don't need slime at this table."

Everyone laughed, as Sirius gave James a thumbs-up.

"The Dark Lord wants you, Potter," spat Malfoy. "So you'd better not make a wrong move. He does not like it when people defy him."

"How would you know?" said Sirius bitterly. "Work for him, do you?"

"If I did, I wouldn't be telling you, would I, Black? Pity you aren't like the rest of your family...especially that cousin of yours."

"You stay away from Narcissa," said Sirius threateningly. "She may be just another Black, but she's still my blood relative."

"Oh, but your dear aunt has already approved of us, together, Black," whispered Malfoy. "As she has for Bellatrix and Rodolphus. You could have been one of us, Black, if you weren't such a Mudblood-lover and sorted into Gryffindor."

"Go away, Malfoy," said Y/N wearily.

"I didn't ask you, Mudblood."

"You take that back!" roared James, standing up with his wand pointed straight at Malfoy's chest.

"James, no!" hissed Y/N. "It's not worth it."

"'Course it is," he muttered back.

"Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy, what do you think you're doing?" said McGonagall furiously, as she marched up to the boys. "Mr. Potter, I expected better of you, as Head Boy! You should set an example for the younger children."