Chapter Fifty

"Oh, Y/N, we always knew you'd make it!" shouted Arabella, hugging her friend

Y/N smiled, and fingered the Gryffindor Prefect badge on her chest carefully and proudly. Her three girl friends were gushing at it with awe and respect.

"You will let us get away with stuff, won't you?" asked Jennifer mischievously.

"Of course, Jen." She chuckled. "D'you guys have any idea who the other Prefect is?"

"Remus," replied Jennifer happily. "Isn't that wonderful for him? I think he deserves it, since he's not so much a troublemaker as James or Sirius."

Y/N's smile faded slightly. She had been almost positive that the other Gryffindor Prefect would be James. However, she wouldn't mind working with Remus, since he was so much more understanding and less annoying.

Fortunately, none of her friends saw Y/N's hesitation, and continued to chat about her duties as a prefect. The compartment slid open, and the Marauders walked in.

"Mind if we sit here, girls?" said Sirius, grinning. "Our ickle Moony is growing up, being a pref—Y/N?" He stared at her. "You're a prefect, too? Oh, the shame!"

Y/N rolled her eyes. "Oh, please, Sirius. Congratulations, Remus."

Remus smiled. "You too, Y/N. I always thought that James would be a prefect, though, since he—"

"Aww...shut up, Moony," said James affectionately. He didn't seem bothered at all that he wasn't a prefect. "And it's Prongs, not James."

"Yeah, yeah."

"It was so obvious that Y/N would become a prefect," said Violet with a big grin on her face. "I mean, she was prefect material ever since our first year..."

"Don't make me sick, Vi," said Y/N.

Violet smiled. "I'll try, n/n."

"Hey, Flower, shouldn't you be in the prefect compartment with all the other prefects?" asked Sirius innocently.

Y/N's eyes widened. "Oh, damn! I forgot!"

"Well, come on then," urged Remus.

The two rushed out of the compartment amid snickers from James and Sirius, and rushed into the prefect compartment. Everyone else was already there, and the Head Boy and Girl were not pleased to see them late.

"L/N, Lupin," acknowledged Kevin Sharp, nodding at them curtly. "I'm glad that you've finally showed up."

Bellatrix Black let out a shrill giggle.

"Black, what do you think you're doing?" snapped the Head Girl, Teresa Chamberlain.

"Nothing, Chamberlain," said Bellatrix sulkily.

"Good. Now, I want you all to carry out your duties as a prefect well this year. You may not deduct points from any Houses, but you may give out punishments when it is completely necessary. Also, you will be escorting and helping many of our younger students at Hogwarts, and you will keep watch when there is danger and be alert at all times. Also, I warn you, do not abuse this position, or you will be handing over your prefect badge to another person who is more worthy of the position. I'm sure that you will all be successful in carrying out this job, as Dumbledore chose you all personally." She gave a tight smile toward the Snape and Bellatrix, the Slytherin Prefects.