Chapter Fifty-Seven

"Well, it's the first time you've ever been wrong, Y/N," said Alice furiously, as she collapsed into an armchair

"Well, it's the first time you've ever been wrong, Y/N," said Alice furiously, as she collapsed into an armchair. It was the Easter holidays now, and the weather was warming up considerably. Most of the Gryffindors had gone home for the holidays, but the Marauders, the girls, and a few older students decided to stay at Hogwarts, as usual.

"What happened, Al?" asked Arabella, concerned.

"Frank dumped me for that bi—idiot," spat Alice, burying her head into her arms. "My life is now officially over. Frank specifically told me that he'd always be with me and he'd never dump me for another girl, because there's no one else he'd rather be with than me. And what does he do? He dumps me right then and there! Of course, I'm not going to cry, since that's so stupid. Why cry over Frank anyway? He wasn't much good. 'Sides, I got a new boyfriend."

"Already?" said Y/N, surprised.

"Yeah. Apparently, Sturges Diggle has had a crush on me since third year, and he asked me out straight away after the news spread that Frank Longbottom and Alice Hart have officially broke up."

"Well, that's good, isn't it? Diggle's a sweet and nice guy, and he would never dump you, would he? Since he's carried a torch for you for three years."

"Yeah, Sturges is awesome. But"—Alice sighed—"he's not Frank."

"Look," said Arabella excitedly, beaming at the older girl, "I have a plan that'll put Frank in shame that he ever dumped you."

Alice looked up, her eyebrows raised. "Oh?"

"Yep. Now, all you have to do is be all fluffy and—you know, to Sturges, and then Frank will get jealous and then he'll apologize, and you'll be back together in no time! Oh, and there's dumping Sturges, but he'll understand, I'm sure..."

"So you want me to use poor Sturges? Oh, no, not that. I really do like Sturges, and I don't want to hurt the poor boy. Who knows? Maybe Alice Diggle sounds better than Alice Longbottom."

"Actually, I really don't think it does," said James casually, appearing out of nowhere. "I heard about you and Frank."

"And?"

"You guys make the perfect couple, and you should get back together again."

"No WAY, James Potter. Frank is now a distant acquaintance to me. Who knew he'd break a promise so sacred and full of love? Now I've realized that he's a complete prat, and that Sturges is much better than he is. I don't know what I was thinking when I started to date him in fourth year."

"'Cause you love him, Al," said Sirius quietly, standing next to James.

"I do not! He's an insufferable git!"

"Alice?" whispered Frank, coming down from the sixth year boys' dormitory. "Alice, I think we need to talk."

Alice stood up abruptly. "Oh, do you? Well, let me tell you something, Longbottom. You are nothing but a prat and a promise-breaker. You're nothing more to me now. I'm with Sturges, and you can have your beloved Trish after wanting her for so many years. I know Sturges can make me happy; much happier than you can make me!" She marched into her dorm and slammed the door behind her.