Episode 113: Rupture

*Ayawamat*

Chao and Hiro turned their attention to me as I reached the bottom of the battlefield.

"Finally you showed yourself!" Hiro yelled.

I snickered. "Yeah.

"I don't need your help," Chao said, sighing. "I am perfectly capable of dealing with this loudmouth by myself."

"Who are you calling loudmouth?" Hiro snapped, his flames turning bluish.

I scoffed. "Well, I'm not here to help either of you. I'll be wiping the floor with both of you!"

"I'll love to see you try!" Hiro said, throwing his axe at me. I ducked and watched as it cut the crystal floor behind me, melting bits here and there.

"Try harder, shorty."

Hiro's knuckles turned white. "You... should... be... careful... with... what... you... wish... for!" he yelled, his flames turning completely blue.

"You've made him angrier," Chao said, rubbing his ears. He seemed disoriented as if suffering from gradually worsening head ache. Was fatigue starting to catch up to him? Or maybe it was dealing with this loudmouth's constant screams?

"Don't worry, I'll just this noisy guy down, then we can spar," I said, avoiding Hiro's flames.

"You're underestimating me, Wahkanian! I might've lost to those twins, but I won't lose again! Not to you!" he said. He stepped back, slammed his weapons against the ground, and took a deep breath. The flames around him tampered down.

What could he have been up to?

"He's internalizing his flames," Chao said, dashing forward.

"What does that do?" I asked.

The Xianian threw a sword at Hiro but the kid side stepped it even though he had his eyes closed.

"You aren't aware?" Chao asked as he threw three more. "It means he's refining his flames to strengthen them. Though it could be that he's trying to tap into his inner flame. The center of a candle is where it burns hottest."

Hiro opened his eyes. "You're well versed when it comes to fire magic. Is it because of your leader?"

"Fire is an element with strong ties to the priestesshood, so of course I would know," Chao said, raising his hand into the air. Several white swords manifested over Hiro.

The Xianian boy raised his own hand, palm face-up, and burned the swords away with blue flame. He picked up his axe with his other hand. His feet kicked the ground, propelling him toward us.

Chao formed a barrier of pure prana over him, while I summoned a giant red scorpion.

The blazing axe cut through Chao's barrier like a hot knife on butter. Using the yari Kuga had given him, Hiro slammed Chao's stomach, sending him reeling away.

Chao pushed himself up.

"Stand down," Hiro said.

"No... Lady Adela needs me. I need to finish you off here for her sake." He glanced up and watched as Adela, Nyima, and Kuga exchanged blows with one another in midair. "If I can't defeat you, then I truly have no right to join the elite guard."

The goldenrod-haired boy stabbed the ground with the yari, sending flames in all directions.

I jumped on top of my scorpion. Its tail raised and slammed the ground, shattering the melting crystal.