Episode 80: Final Battle?

*Nyima*

[Meanwhile, north of the lake]

While the triplets and Hota defended the south, Yuzuki and I waited in a spacious meadow for Sarah to arrive.

"Say, what do you like about Lei?" I asked, turning my eyes toward Yuzuki.

Yuzuki chuckled. "Isn't it obvious?"

I scratched the side of my face. "Uhh, not exactly. He is kind of annoying half the time. Not to mention rude, and childish. He's also the worst at apologizing. When he bumped into me on the way to the exam, he offered me a piece of gum!"

Yuzuki chuckled. "That guy really could learn how to apologize better, but his heart is in the right place, most of the time."

"Hmm? Most of the time?"

The red-haired girl sighed. "Well, sometimes the rage in his heart takes him astray."

I lowered my head. Right, back when we were in Wynaga, I could see he was being haunted by something. There was pain in his heart caused by those who for years looked down on him. That pain, it manifested in unexpected ways.

"Xià yǔ liánhuā!" a voice yelled. Suddenly, cyan lotuses rained down from above. I formed a water barrier over us but the water flowers exploded, sending ripples throughout the domed water shield.

"Hold it a bit longer," Yuzuki said as she scanned the area. "Her voice didn't sound very far off." She gasped as something sliced though my dome.

I spun around and delivered a kick to Sarah's sword wielding arm.

"Tsk. You got me," Sarah said, grinning as she raised her silver rapier. I pulled my leg back as she swiped down. She twirled and jabbed the rapier forward, unleashing a straight line of water.

I stopped the water before it could hit me.

"Not bad!" another female voice called out. Walking out of the forest with a wand in hand was Vermeil.

I wasn't sure what Vermeil's abilities were apart from the fact that she used metal magic in addition to crystal. I had barely seen her fight. In fact, despite her looks and demeanor, she tended to fade into the background most of the time.

The blond girl smiled as her white and gold wand transformed into a golden knife. She waved her knife, unleashing a barrage of golden colored crystals at us.

"Let's see how you deal with both of us!" Vermeil said, giggling.

"Don't forget I'm here," Yuzuki said, slicing the gems with a barrage of black shuriken.

"Of course not. How can I forget my senior?" Vermeil said as she raised her knife. "Electri!"

Resin bubbled out of the cut-down crystals. Tendrils of liquid amber jolted toward Yuzuki and me.

I deflected Sarah's rapier by casting a water barrier as she came in for a hit on my side. I needed to focus on my own battle.

Sarah smiled at the miniature water barrier near my left side. The water twitched and began to change shape.

I jumped away as it formed into needles.

"Trying to use my own water against me?" I asked.

Sarah smiled. "Yeah. Though I can now see why you had a hard time against Same. Your control over your own water is lacking." She drew the water toward her. "It's rather easy to take over."

I grumbled. "Lucis Draco!" I yelled. The sunlight raining down on us weaved itself into a dragon shimmering in the colors of the rainbow.

"So you've resorted to using your light powers again. A shame, I expected you would try to one-up me as to who is the best water mage."