Episode 44: Looking Toward the Future

*Alto*

[Meanwhile- Sefa's Capital]

"We're finally here," Arima said. All three of us looked up at the decrepit apartment building in front of us. Going from Kyuu Seishin to Sefa felt like stepping into another world. Sefa looked like how Kyuu Seishin had to look decades ago, but with the buildings aged and left in a state of mismanagement.

"Yeah," Ulissis said with a smile.

We had decided to walk back home as part of our training. It wasn't like we had access to special facilities, so to the outdoors were a good alternative.

Along the way we had managed to collect ingredients for making cultivation pills, special medicine which is used to strengthen one's body and Magicae Organum or 'Core' as the Kyuu Seishinians called it.

With Arima's help, Ulissis and I collected herbs which made one's skin harder and helped with stamina. As a lightning mage, I really needed the latter as I burned though my prana like the melting wax of a tiny candle.

"Hey, little brother!" a voice called out. Walking toward us was a dark skinned, navy haired young man. On his shoulders was a little boy while holding on to his pants leg was a little girl with light blue hair.

"Zydeco!" I said, grinning. "I see you brought the whole family. Here to visit Mom and Dad?"

"You got it," he said, chuckling.

"Not everyone is here," my niece said. "Mommy is still busy."

My brother patted her head. "We can spend time with your mommy later. She's getting things ready for these three and Alban. They'll be participating in the upcoming Mahoulympics."

I tilted my head at him. I still had yet to meet his wife. I didn't even know her name. Her job required her to keep the fact that she's married a secret. However, at least she interacted with her family when she could.

"Really?" my nephew said, smiling. "That's neat, uncle!"

I chuckled. "Yeah!"

"Alban, how is he?" Arima asked.

"He's already at the facility. The guy has been training like crazy since the test. You also wouldn't believe what he's done since."

"What?" Arima asked.

"He's managed to pacify the gangs of this part of town. It seems that despite leaving them, his former gangsters still look up to him. Actually, seems that's more of the case than before. Several of them decided to train alongside him despite not having magic."

I smiled. "So that guy hasn't been slacking. Well, I better not do so either," I said, stepping forward. "Tell our parents than I'll be back in a few."

"Okay, say hi to Sonata for me," Zydeco said, walking past me.

"Uh, Sonata? You know her?" I asked, turning around.

Brother chuckled. "Of course I do, real well. She's my childhood friend." He smiled at his daughter and son. "Hey, Alto. Since I got some free time, how about I train you?"

"That would be great! Maybe you can help me with deciding which events to participate in?"

Zydeco nodded. "Of course, little bro. I'll be glad to!"

"Let's go and meet up with Alban!" Arima said as she ran on ahead.

"Hey, wait up!" I yelled, chasing after her and Ulissis.

***

Ulissis whistled at the sight. In front of us was a large cubic building made of reinforced steel and glass. It didn't look anything from our part of town, in fact, it felt as if we were back in Kyuu Seishin.