[Revised/Edited] Episode 5: Alike

-"Meeting like minded people is a wonderful feeling. One feels like one belongs. But when no one shares the same views, one can feel like a single flower in a hostile desert."

*Ayawamat*

"Nice job," Iah complimented.

Ryuusei dropped the boulder-sized clumps of earth back down. "Thanks," he said, grinning. He dusted himself off. "I think I finally got a handle on it."

"You'll need much more if you seek to become stronger than that Akito kid," I interjected. Iah and Ryuusei turned around and saw me sitting at the edge of the water fountain. "You don't even compare to the green-haired girl."

Ryuusei lowered his head. "I know. That's why I want to become stronger! My father will finally acknowledge me when I do."

I scoffed. "Your father?"

The kid simply nodded.

That Korgermu, he really was a lot like my own father...

***

[Years Ago]

"Hit harder!" Father yelled at the top of his lungs. He shook his head as he caught my punches with a single hand. Despite not being a mage, he was fast and strong.

I took a step back to catch my breath.

Father sighed and furrowed his brow at me. "It's bad enough that you look like a girl, but punching like one? You might as well have been born a girl." He shook his head at me.

"Father," called out my older brother.

Father glared at my older brother, Hotah. Hotah was tall for his age, seventeen at the time, and had a muscular physique. His brown hair was long but not as long as my dark blue hair was.

"If you got an issue with my teaching, feel free to take over. Unlike you, this child has no talent," Father responded, walking away.

I turned away and sobbed quietly, afraid that my father would've noticed.

A rough but soft hand ran through my hair. "Cheer up, little bro. Father can be rather strict but he's doing it for your own good." I glanced up at him, he was smiling but his eyes were serious.

"You're returning to school soon, aren't you?" I asked.

He nodded.

I glanced at the small house I called home for the past nine years. Father and Mother could no longer afford to pay the mortgage on it. If it weren't for my brother's scholarship then he too would have had to change schools on such short notice.

"You'll be fine," Hotah assured me. "I'm sure that you'll make some friends."

I gave my older brother a tight hug. "I'll miss you the most."

Brother hugged me back. "As will I, Aya."

"I knew it!" yelled someone.

I half expected it to be a girl. Instead, it turned out to be a black-haired boy with bright blue eyes like mine. His hair was shorter than Brother's but long enough to tie into a ponytail.

Houta let go of me. His face turned bright red. "Sirius, what are you doing here?"

Sirius? If I recalled correctly, that was the name of the guy my brother used to bully during middle school.

"You do have a nice side to you," Sirius continued, chuckling. In his hand was a bag of bread. He held it out to him. "I brought this for you, to say goodbye."