21.5

Three weeks later

E

I've tried to be on my best behaviour, I've already been assigned a job in the prison. I was a 'landscaper'. The term was loose considering all I was allowed to do was work in the field connected to the prison. I was assigned to rake leaves, water the vegetable garden some of the other prisoners grew and pick up garbage from the grass.

I got paid $4 an hour which went towards my release money. All of the money I made in prison (legally) went into an account for me so that when I was released I'd have money to pay for food and shelter.

Jobs weren't enforced, you could choose not to work. But I figured it would benefit me and the sun wouldn't do me any bad.

Today was the first day I had phone and visitation privileges.

I got up from my bunk and walked over to grab my shower bag.

I was no longer in a restricted cell, I had the same privileges as everyone else now.

I walked over to the bathroom and waited in line for the showers.

There weren't as many familiar faces around here. Everyone in the State Prison had to have done something very bad, or they would've been sent to local prisons. Most Kennedy members got sent to local prisons, like the one I was in before.

It was finally my turn to go into the shower.

I pulled the curtain covering myself and got out of my orange jumpsuit.

I turned the water on and couldn't help but feel comfortable feeling the warm water hit my back. It reminded me of when Shelby and I would shower together, or when I was little and hated taking showers but was forced to by my mom.

I missed my family. I hated that I turned out so vile when my life could've been normal, like Graysons life was.

The only thing I was proud of was gaining Shelby.

Without me being a dick, I don't think we would've ended up together. And who knows, maybe her and Grayson would still be together.

I remember seeing her sitting in my bed playing with my rolling papers, thinking I wasn't home when I was just actually in the shower.

She sat on my bed and picked up the rolling papers from my bedside table, reading the package. She rolled her eyes and threw them back.

"Can I help you?" My sharp voice said from behind her making her jump.

She turned her head to look behind her and was immediately met with me standing with a towel wrapped around my waist in the bathroom doorway.

Reality hit her that I had not left and that I was just showering.

"I'm so sorry. I thought you left again" She said as she panicked.

"So that gives you permission to come into my room baby girl?"

She froze. I had never called her baby girl. She was dating my brother Grayson.