16.5

G

I closed the door behind me and sighed as I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

I poured myself a glass of water and brought it upstairs to my room, across the hall from Ethan's.

I thought about what he said last night, when he came here with tears escaping his eyes and pain wiped across his face.

It hurt me knowing that he ruined his life, how someday he'd be caught and he would spend the rest of his life in jail.

It hurt me knowing that he was in pain and he resorted to ugly ways of dealing with it.

I laid down in my bed and looked up at the ceiling letting my thoughts cloud my head.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard the doorbell go off several times.

I was about to yell for Ethan to get the door, already falling back into my old habits. But I quickly remembered he was an escaped prisoner on the run and decided I'd get up and answer the door myself.

My feet paced down the stairs as the doorbell kept ringing over and over again.

"I'm coming!" I yelled, hoping the annoying ringing would stop.

I got to the door and pulled it open. Instantly my eyes meeting with hers.

"Hey Grayson, I know this is probably really awkward for you... I'm sorry t- umm, interrupt you" her voice filled the front room as I couldn't keep my eyes off hers.

She's changed a bit, I haven't seen her at school lately. There were rumours that she dropped out, but she was still on our attendance list so I knew that she had just been skipping.

"Anyways, I was wondering if Ethan was possibly here?" She said softly as she played with her necklace that wrapped around her neck.

I didn't know what her intentions were? Did her and Ethan keep contact with each-other after he escaped? Was she trying to expose his whereabouts?

I thought of the consequences and decided to tell her he wasn't here, but before I did I asked her what she was doing here.

"Hey Shelbs- sorry Shelby... umm I don't want to sound rude, but why do you want to know where Ethan is?" My expression turned from surprised to confused and her head looked down to her shoes.

"Never mind, it's okay. I shouldn't have come here, I'm sorry agai-" her sentence was interrupted by Ethan jogging down the stairs yelling.

"Before I left I had rolling papers in my bedside table Grayson! Where did you guys put them!"

Her head shot up trying to look over my shoulder past the doorway.

I blocked her view and looked back at Ethan looking at me with an upset expression.

"I don't know what mom did with them E" I said trying to sound as nice as possible without looking suspicious.

"Who's here?" He interrupted and I looked back at Shelby.

Her eyes filled with tears as she bit her bottom lip and pulled the necklace back and forth on her neck.

I moved away from the doorway and her eyes met Ethan's.

"Shelby?" His voice was low and I could see the pain written across his face.

I opened the door and stood back inviting her in.

"I'm so sorry" she exclaimed as the tears ran down her face.

He held his arms out and she ran into him. Her legs wrapping around his waist and her arms wrapping around his neck.

She sobbed and I sat there confused as Ethan looked directly at me with a smug expression.

What the fuck was going on? I viciously thought.