Tension

I could have cut the tension in a room with a knife. Sylvanie's spirit flooded into Knox and he went white. I hadn't realized this would happen. My lack of knowledge as a Necromancer had worked to our advantage. I realized that this was what Genevieve had suggested, to call upon the people he had killed to take back their energy. Was this ghost capable of that, was that what she was doing?

"What the hell is going on?" Marva asked.

I thought she was able to see the ghost, but it seemed only Knox could. "I called up his first victim. She's tormenting him right now."

Marva pulled a dagger. "We should kill him while he's helpless."

I stepped between them. "Have you ever killed anyone?"

"No, but no one deserves it more."

"I told you I want justice, not revenge. What is more just than the ones he killed taking back what he stole?"

She studied me for a moment. "Do you want to destroy yourself, Nick?"

"What do you mean?"

"I can hardly see you. You called up my sister's spirit and this victim. You've used up most of your energy."

"You're willing to kill to stop him. I'm willing to cease to exist."

"Maybe we should compromise. How far away are Genevieve and the others?"

I reached out to Genevieve again. "Where are you? We have Knox distracted and I think there's a way for you to take him out."

She said, "We're ten minutes away and what are you talking about?"

"I called forth the spirit of the first woman he killed. I think she's attempting to possess him. She does have a strange connection because of his theft of her energy. I think you could call more of his victims and they could take back their energy from him. Marva points out that I don't have enough power to do it."

"It's worth a try. We'll be there as soon as possible."

"They're ten minutes out," I said.

"Is he going to be distracted for that long?" Marva asked.

"If not, I'll have to call another spirit to him, even if it does drain me dry."

We watched Knox for a moment. His eyes were rolled back in his head and an awful expression was on his face. I almost felt bad for my former partner, but not really. He had brought this upon himself. I felt a pull toward him and realized that I could join Sylvanie in tormenting him. I was tempted. I'd been haunting the Earth for almost a hundred years and was tired.

"Nick, you're invisible. Come back. The other's will never forgive me if I let you disappear on my watch."

I gathered myself together and faded back in. "We wouldn't want that."