Music

Timothy shook his head. "You've never heard the music have you?"

"What do you mean? What music?" Knox asked.

"It's something my uncle wrote about in his journal. Sometimes when he was using his magic he heard what he called 'the music of life.' I've heard it to."

Knox hadn't found any history of madness in the Goodman family. Perhaps he needed more information on this revelation. Connecting Blood Magic with life was an odd thing to do. Necromancers were said by many to wield death magic, but it was his kind that killed to gain power.

"When have you heard this music?" he asked.

"Have you ever met a Druid?" Timothy asked.

"I'm not that old. They died off centuries ago."

"That's what people say, but Uncle Osric didn't believe it. His theory was that the Druids are where Blood Mages come from, at least those of European descent. "

"They were said to practice blood sacrifice, but that doesn't mean they had real magic."

"There was something interesting about many of their human sacrifices, the 'victims' were willing. There is evidence that it was part of their religion to kill a person who was willing to give his life for the Gods."

"I think that could be argued. We don't know of any people today who can trace their beliefs back to the original Druids. All the people I've heard of who call themselves Druid are simple humans."

"We can argue about this all day, but my uncle was the one who wanted proof."

"Proof of what?"

"That if you use a willing subject, Blood Magic doesn't have to be the 'evil' thing people think it is. He mostly experimented using his own blood."

"You can get magic out of that, but not very much. A single person only has so much blood."

"Osric found he could use 3.5 pints of his own blood twice a month without too much difficulty. As you say, you can only do such Magic that way. That's why he traveled to Europe. He claimed to have found the true descendants of Druids with Blood Magic. He studied with them and even participated in a human sacrifice with a truly willing victim. That was when he heard what he called 'the music of life.' I don't plan to go that far. Apparently you have to swear all sorts or oaths to work with the Druids. Osric broke one of them by writing down his experiences in a journal. They are not so happy with written records; to easy for them to be stolen. And I know now you're thinking, I have a new enemy to track down and destroy, but I can tell you these Druids are very good at hiding. I don't think you'll ever find them, and even if you did, you will have met your match. They are extremely powerful. There is even a rumor that Merlin is their leader."