Value

One of the advantages of living for centuries was having learned the value of patience. Knox spent the next three days observing the children. He returned to the hotel each night to give food and water to Father Serrano. He had to renew the control spell each time and it took more blood. He'd never kept someone under for more than a day or two. He hoped that the boy would appear before he had to take too much to keep the spell going. If he had to kill the Empath, the sacrifice would be less effective.

After two days watching the school, he spotted Timothy. The boy looked so innocent, playing with his friends. He was a perfect sacrifice, just beginning his journey to manhood. It was almost a shame to cut off his life now, but it had to be done. He hadn't yet been poisoned by his Magic. He was part of a group of boys kicking around a soccer ball. One of the others kicked the ball into the bushes and Timothy ran after it.

Knox was about to grab the boy, when he noticed a young man who wasn't one of the teachers he'd observed standing at the edge of the play field. He might have been a substitute, but as an experienced soldier and lawman, Knox observed the alert way he watched the woods, and was sure he was either police or FBI. If he was going to take the boy, he needed a real distraction.

As someone who valued being prepared, Knox had taken some blood from each of the teachers out of the playground. It surprised him at how unobservant modern people were. He'd managed to creep up behind each of them and take a small bit of blood, leaving them to think they'd been stung by some sort of insect. Now he took out a vial with the blood of the older woman who was trying not to look at the watcher. He took off the lid and whispered in Latin. The woman collapsed to the the ground. All eyes turned to her and the police or FBI man ran to her side.

Timothy hadn't noticed yet, he was still focused on the soccer ball. Knox stepped out and grabbed him, covering his mouth and dragged him quickly through the woods to his car. In a minute they were on the road back to his hotel. The only problem now was how was he going to control both the Father and this boy until he could figure out how to assault the others.