Argument

Knox had to admit to himself that it was past time he pulled over and found somewhere to rest for the night. This meant taking Father Serrano out of the trunk. He wasn't looking forward to that. He needed the priest alive and in reasonable condition. He saw a sign for a hotel at the next exit and headed that way. It was just outside the town of Centralia, called the Lakeview Inn. He'd found that most places in small towns didn't ask many questions to patrons who paid in cash. He got a room at the back of the place, as far from prying eyes as he could.

It was late into the night so he parked and opened the trunk. Father Serrano appeared to be sleeping, hopefully he wasn't unconscious. Knox reached in and picked the Father up, waking him.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"You may have had a nap, but I need some sleep. You're going to come quietly with me to the room. I'm sure you don't want anyone here to be hurt," Knox said.

"I hate to argue with you, but I wasn't exactly napping. I was meditating and praying to God to help you."

Knox shook his head. "You shouldn't waste your breath. I know I'm damned. Now be quiet, or you'll regret it."

The priest was light in his arms. The room had two twin beds. He set Serrano down on one of them and debated binding and gagging him while he took a shower.

"You aren't going to try anything are you?" he asked.

"I don't have the energy to do anything, I assure you. I shall lie here and contemplate existence."

By the time he had finished his shower, Father Serrano had taken off his shoes and socks and was lying on the bed staring at the ceiling. Knox debated on whether he should say something, but instead laid on the other bed and closed his eyes.

"I still want to know what you think gives you the right to live on with the energy of others," Serrano said.

"Do you want to start an argument again?"

"What reason do I have to not argue with you? You're planning on killing me. Can I really make things worse?"

Knox laughed. "One thing I've learned over centuries is that things can always be made worse."

"They could also be made better."

"I don't see how our situation could be made better. I don't really want to kill you, although even you would have to admit that you've had a long and fulfilling life."

"A long one, compared to most other people, but you don't know anything about me. How could you know that my life's purpose has been filled? There might still be many things for me to accomplish."

"I'm sorry Father, but a normal man who's in his 90s has passed his prime. What else do you feel a need to do at this point in your life?"

"The thing that makes me valuable to you as a sacrifice is not something that has diminished with age. I would argue that my empathic ability is more powerful than it ever was. It's what makes me a great counselor to my fellow man, those with abilities and those without. You plan to take that away before my time."