Different Talents

Something I didn't mention was the toll it would take on me to contact her sister. A living Necromancer can draw on the power of the spirits who linger in the world of the living to speak with and control the dead. Once you die, the drawing on the dead part was gone. When I used my power as a ghost, the power came from my own energy. I was able to get it back slowly over time, but if I were to use too much, I would be no good to anyone for quite a while.

"How long ago did was your sister killed?" I asked.

"About ten years ago," she said.

"What was her full name?"

"Susanna Elena Hunt."

Ten years wasn't very long at all when you were dead. Genevieve was unusual in her ability to call upon the long deceased. Most Necromancers found it hard to call anyone who'd been dead more than a few decades. I'd never tested my powers when alive and I was glad I didn't have to do so now.

"To call a spirit when you are dead, you have to use your own energy. I may not be able to manifest for some time after this. If Genevieve doesn't come back, I ask you to call Leopold and let him know what happened," I said.

"Give me his number," she said, "but why wouldn't she come back?"

"I'm not sure any one or two of us can defeat my old partner. He hasn't lived as long as he has by being stupid. If they meet him, there's no guarantee they'll get away."

"If they meet him? You think he's coming here."

"Let's call it a feeling. He doesn't know that the young Blood Mage is able to track Father Serrano. He'll think that we're here hiding in the Necromancer's house."

"And so we are, you and me."

"I'm not hiding. I'm waiting for him. You worried about me wanting revenge, but it really is justice I'm looking for. Now let's see if we can work towards justice for your sister."

This was the first time in years that I'd tried to call another ghost. The last time hadn't gone all that well. I'd called on the ghost of a child that had been killed by a serial killer in Chicago in the 70s. The spirit had come, but it had acted like a wild animal; driven mad by fear and the horror of his death. I hoped that this time would go better.

"I don't suppose you have a picture of her on you?" I asked. "It would make this a bit easier."

She pulled a photo out of her purse and handed it to me. A girl with long red hair and green eyes smiled out at me. This was the hard part. I had send a part of myself to the other side where the truly dead resided. I didn't know what was there, but every time I had done this I lost that piece and the rest of me longed to follow.

"Susanna Elena Hunt I call to you across the divide. Your sister needs your knowledge. She wants to find the truth of your death. Come to us now," I said.