20.5

E

I walked out of the doors with the cuffs digging into my wrists, I could barely move my hands without feeling pain.

I guess that was the point, to make me so weak that I couldn't move.

I made my way down to sit down next to my lawyer, that my parents surprisingly paid for.

Even though I've made all of these mistakes, my parents still tried to do everything in their power to benefit me.

It was sad how I turned out, how my life would never be the same or normal. All I was known as was a criminal to everyone except one person.

And there she sat, in a purple dress with her hair slicked back in a ponytail.

I blinked my eyes as I made my way closer to her as the officers behind me pushed me towards my seat.

When I opened my eyes, she sat there smiling.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I thought she was in jail? Did she get let out early?

Confusion filled my head. But I was still so thankful to see her one last time until I was either sentenced 30 or more years, or put on death row.

Either one, every moment of my life would be painful without her, my last minutes or even the many years without her.

Would she forget about me? Move away and never look back?

That's what I was afraid of, I was afraid of living because of the unknown.

I sat down and looked back to her and she mouthed something.

Something that felt familiar, I love you.

I mouthed it back, I missed holding her and kissing her passionately.

I missed her scent, vanilla and sometimes strawberry if she wore that lotion on her arms and hands.

I missed cuddling with her, our legs intertwined as I played with her hair.

I felt a tear escape my eyes, something so unfamiliar to me.

Her facial expression changed and she licked her lips and bit her bottom lip as she looked down.

She played with her fingers when she was nervous or upset. She was either one of them, or both.

I looked back to the front of the room where the judges seat was empty.

"All rise for the honourable judge Simon" the guard said and I sat up from my seat as I watched the judge walk towards his seat and sit down.

I felt the flash of the reporters cameras towards me and I flinched.

I hated how I was a piece of media now, I was used for newspaper and social media gain and I absolutely hated the attention and false interpretations of me.

In a matter of seconds, the judge would pronounce my sentence and I would have to either rot in a cell, not knowing what's happening on the outside world around me. Or I'd have needles in my arms while I'm strapped to a chair fighting for my life.

The clock was ticking and it was my time.

"Ethan Dolan, you may rise"