19.0

Two months later

S

Ethan was sent to the same high security prison he was in before, but he was confined in a room by himself.

He was let out one hour a day to walk around outside, but he had guards walk him everywhere. They gave him no time alone, except for when he was rotting in his cell waiting for his new sentence.

The judge hadn't made up his mind yet, and it was supposedly going to be a few month process.

As for me, I was given a year in an all female detention centre.

I had 10 more months left and so far, I've only had one visitor

My parents showed up for my hearing, but wouldn't even look at me. I haven't heard from them since.

Grayson wasn't given any time. He blamed Ethan for it all and said he was oblivious of the fact Ethan was hiding out at his house.

My neighbours called the police on me, that's why I'm here.

They saw Ethan and I leave one night and their front door camera caught it all.

All of the outings and all of the hiding we did together, their camera caught it all.

There was no way I wasn't going to jail for at-least a year.

I haven't heard from Ethan at all. He had no phone privileges and no visiting privileges either.

I knew he'd be in there for a long time, either that or he'd be lethally injected.

I couldn't handle the thoughts of losing him, so I never thought about it.

I pushed those thoughts into the back of my mind knowing one day I'd explode with those thoughts.

Today was field trip day. We had to sit in the cafeteria and have juvenile kids walk on the ledge above us and take a field trip of their potential life if they kept their acts up.

We couldn't get out of it. It was at our lunch time. 

I got out of my bed slowly and turned to Charlene, the girl I shared my bunk with.

"You excited for today? To see some new faces" she said lightly and I laughed.

Charlene has been here for four years for an armed robbery and her favourite day of the year was field trip day.

"Not really. I'm just going to sit down and eat my lunch like every other day" I said as I chuckled lightly.

"That won't happen. Usually on field trip days we all rally up and scream at those little punk ass kids" she said as she put her hair in a braid and I smiled at her.

"You heard from yo nigga yet?" Kendra from the bunk across from us, in the other cell said and I shook my head.

Our cells were open, we weren't in a high security prison. Most of us were just in here for drug busts, robbery or harbouring fugitives.

"No, for all I know he's dead" I spoke softly as the hurtful words poured out of my mouth. 

"He's not dead, Officer Mendalez wouldve told you" she spoke as she changed into her other jumpsuit.

"He might as well be..." I said as I put my shoes on and pulled the Velcro.

We weren't allowed to have shoe laces, they were afraid we'd kill ourselves with it.

I couldn't stop thinking about how Ethan was suffering in his cell all by himself.

I wondered if he ever thought about me...

Was I ever on his mind as much as he was on mine?