Chapter Thirty

The doorbell rang causing Elizabeth to jump a foot in the air.

"I'll get it." she called to her father and sisters.

"If it's the pizza, the money's in my coat pocket." her dad shouted back.

Elizabeth opened to door and was surprised to see Meliodas standing there.

Her cheeks turned red as he grinned at her.

"Yo." he said.

"Hello." she gasped. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you." He answered simply. "Can I come in?"

"Um." she stuttered. "Sure."

Elizabeth opened the door wider and he stepped inside.

"Who is it Ellie?" Veronica came around the corner and stoped dead when she saw the short blonde boy.

"Veronica, this is my friend Meliodas." introduced Elizabeth. "Meliodas, this is my sister Veronica."

"Nice to meet you." Meliodas stepped forward and shook her hand.

"Yeah." said Veronica before turning to her sister. "You better hide him Sis. Dad isn't in the mood to meet your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend." Elizabeth turned cherry red.

Veronica chuckled.

"Whatever." she said "I'll tell Dad that you had some homework to finish. Take him to your room"

"Wha-" Elizabeth gasped as her sister turned away.

Meliodas smirked.

"What are you going to do now?" he asked.

Elizabeth didn't meet his eyes but led him upstairs to her room.

It was a nice room. With faded white and pink wallpaper, white furniture, and a pale pink bed-spread. All her school stuff were neatly lined up on her desk and nothing seemed to be out of place.

"Your room is very clean." commented Meliodas, sitting on her desk chair while Elizabeth perched on the bed.

"Thank you." she said. "My oldest sister Margaret likes to clean and I picked up some stuff. Veronica does not keep anything clean. Her room is a nightmare."

Meliodas laughed. Elizabeth's heart leapt at the sound. She felt her cheeks heat up and turned away.

"Why are you here?" she asked quietly.

Meliodas didn't answer right away. Instead he stood up and crossed over to the bed. Elizabeth felt the mattress sink next to her. She turned to see Meliodas's beautiful emerald eyes inches away from hers.

She knew she should pull away, but her brain wasn't working.

Meliodas reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear. Then he slowly took the eye patch off to reveal her mis-matched eyes.

"Wow!" he whispered.

Elizabeth's hand went up as she tried to cover it but the boy stoped her. She let him guide her hand back to her lap.

"I have something to tell you." he muttered, forcing himself to keep staring into her eyes.

Elizabeth frowned at this.

Meliodas looked down so his hair covered his eyes.

"When I first met you, I ran away." he said. "I didn't want to be reminded of my mistakes. When you walked through the door that first day with Winry, you looked just like Liz and I wanted to disappear. I hate myself for letting Liz die. It was my fault no matter what anyone says.