flashbacks: stenbrough

thank you fiery-libraa for the prompt!

tw ! vomit and death

bill's p.o.v:

it was officially the first day of spring. still not warm enough to go outside without a thick sweatshirt, but the suns glow had started to provide some heat again and the first signs of returning birds had started to pop up around town. i sighed, leaning my head back and allowing the sun to warm my reddened face, as i fingered some lengthy blades of grass beside me. i sighed blissfully, fluttering my eyes open and watching a bluejay fly overhead. stan's favourite bird.

" you know, i've been thinking a lot about our childhood lately." i said quietly, my words so soft you may have mistaken them as whisper from the soft breeze drifting by. " like the first day we met." i chuckled airily, looking down at the blades of grass my fingers effortlessly fiddled with. " we were so young back then."

" m-mo-mommy i-i don't w-w-wanna g-o." i sniffled, struggling to hold back by tears as i stared up at the big scary kindergarten entrance. it looked enormous to me back then, as i'd barely been able to pass at 3 feet six inches. i sniffed loudly again, wrapping my arms around my mothers legs. " p-p-please d-don't make m-m-me-me go." i whimpered, burying my face in her hip.

" oh william. it'll be okay, i promise." my mother said, ignoring my whimpers as she pulled be gently away from her legs. i sniffled loudly again, releasing her legs and clutching my backpack straps tightly in my fists. my mother got down on her knees in front of me, her eyes locking onto my wide emerald ones. " and i'll be standing right here at 3:00 this afternoon to pick you up again, okay?" she said, gently cupping my trembling face in her hands. she pressed warm kisses to both of my cheeks, before standing up again.

" o-o-ok-okay." i stammered, wiping my nose on the back of my hand. my mother smiled, waving goodbye to me. i stayed standing there for a good five seconds longer, before slowly turning around and making my way inside. once i arrived inside the little classroom, i turned around to look at my mother one last time. only to discover she alreddie left.

i sniffled loudly again, still struggling to keep my tears bottled up, as i shakily entered the kid-riddled classroom. there were kids, tall and small, everywhere. some were laughing. some were crying. some were screaming their little heads off. some were running about, whilst some sat quietly at their desks like their parents had told them to do and awaited further instruction. i stood at the front of the room, continuously wiping my runny nose on my palm, unsure of where to go.

" move!" a booming voice cried, causing me to jump and lose my footing. i yelped as i fell to the floor, the scare causing tears to leak from my eyes and start tumbling down my splotchy cheeks. i got onto my shaking knees, looking up at the boy above me. he had unruly dark curls and was squinting terribly to try and see me. when he opened his mouth to speak i noticed his two front teeth were missing, which embarrassed me as i hadn't lost any teeth at that point yet.

" stop crying. are you a baby?" the boy snapped in a squeaky voice, causing my tears to fall faster. i shakily got back to my feet, realizing the boy was a good half a foot taller than me. which only caused me to grow more terrified. " bye." the boy said, pushing past me to continue running around the class. i was confused, not understanding why he'd called me a baby and not even said sorry, like my mommy had told me to do when i hurt someone's feelings. i wrapped my arms around my waist, crying quietly to myself, as i stood in the centre of the room. feeling rather lost.

" hey!" someone piped up from beside me. i wiped my eyes out of embarrassment, sniffling loudly as i looked to my left. a boy stood beside me, gripping his backpack straps so tightly his knuckles had gone white. he looked different than the rest of the kids in the classroom: whilst we were all dressed in simple t-shirt's and loose shorts the boy at my side was dressed in a navy polo and tight-fitted khakis that went down to just above his knees. it reminded me of the clothes my daddy wore to work.