Chapter Twenty.

When Monday came, I got up with Reese just as I always did. We got ready for school and ate our breakfast without fighting with each other or anything. It was just going to be the two of us in this house for the next week. When Dad and Amanda got back, we'd have to go back to being good little kids.

Dad called us last night to make sure we were okay. He even called us Monday morning to make sure we were awake. I told him to no call us every five minutes and to enjoy himself on his honeymoon. He agreed after some coaxing by Amanda and we hung up on a good note.

But, when it came time to leave, I knew exactly where I was supposed to be going.

"Are you coming or what?" Reese asked me from the driver's seat of the car we shared. I looked around me for a moment, trying to think of some excuse. I was going to miss school today. He would notice, of course, and I also had to void being ratted out to our dad. I thought of a quick excuse before he got suspicious.

"I um... I forgot to do my homework! The teacher will kill me..." I muttered the last part to myself. He rolled his eyes.

"I'll meet you there. I have to do this or I'll be in big trouble. See you at school...uh... later." I waved awkwardly at my twin and watched him give me a weird look. He finally agreed to letting me be late and backed out if the driveway, going to grab Lilly before he left.

At lightning speed, I ran into the house and dropped my backpack on my bed.

I ran back out to the front door and grabbed my jacket, pulling it on, zipping it up, and putting my boots on. I walked out the door and started towards the garage.

Hunter was just pulling his shoes on when I opened his door after knocking. I took his whole body in and couldn't help but notice how handsome he was dressed like that. He had on a navy blue polo that was unbuttoned at the top and had the collar flipped up and had on a pair of blue jeans and some kind of tan shoes I didn't know the name of. I giggled at his messy hair.

"What? Fo I looks okay?" His voice cracked at the end and I could tell he was nervous. Still smiling, I stepped forward and patted his messy dark hair down. I then folded his collar down and buttoned one button - you could still see his chest peaking out which made him look ten times hotter.

"Better." I laced my fingers together in front of me and rocked back and forth on my heels. I heard a small thud and turned to see Shiloh rolling around on the floor with a sock in his paws.

I ran over to my kitten and picked him up. He protested, reaching for his sock he left on the ground while his nails dug into my jacket. I held him like a baby on his back and scratched his belly. I didn't even realize it when Hunter came up behind me. I drove when I felt his presence; his warm breath on my neck. He reached an arm around me and patted Shiloh's head.

"You know, I don't know if i'll be able to give the little guy back to you. He's mine forever." Hunter told me.

"Yeah, whatever you say." I rolled my eyes and put Shiloh down so he could play with his sock.

"Ready to go?" Hunter asked me. He slung his coat over his shoulder and opened the door for me. I nodded and shoved my hands in my pockets, walking down the stairs and to his car.

I climbed in the front passenger seat and buckled up just as Hunter slid in and buckled. He started the car and backed out of the driveway.

I watched him from the corner of my eye as his chest rose and fell from taking a shaky breath. I reached over and put my hand over top of his that he had laying on the console.

"It'll be okay." I told him. He glanced at me and turned his always-warm hand over to clutch my freezing ones in his.

*****