Chapter 15 - Temptation

Start from the beginning

He put down the phone when he saw Alice. He was just talking to someone on the phone.

Alice stared down at the untidy pile of papers on his desk, an expression of sad bewilderment on his meek face. Her entrance changed Jack's mood.

"Didn't you hear me call the first time?", he asked curtly.

"I was in the far room, typing," she answered in a flat expressionless voice.

He wondered what were her thoughts concerning the women who visited him in his office a few minutes ago. But then perhaps she didn't really think about anything much?

It was comforting to be certain that Alice would never subject him to such ridiculously emotional scenes.

She knew the score. But as sophisticated as she might believe herself, he'd soon identified her weakness. It always amused him that Alice had no idea of anything about it.

He said "You look good."

"I don't feel bloody well," said Alice, annoyed that Jack talks to him normally like that.

"You're sick, perhaps?"

"Jorge," said Alice warningly. She was thin and rather faded, as if she had been left out from the sun too long. "I told you, I'm not beating around the bush..."

"But it's much better if you stay calm."

"And just how am I supposed to do that?"

"But if it upsets your blood pressure, I'm okay but so to get excited—"

"Yeah, actually it's a wonder it's not gone through the bloody root."

Jack said soothingly. "Let's sit down. I am certain we can very soon sort everything out. There's a solution for everything."

"I don't give a—"

"Alice," pleaded Jack.

But Alice just won't sit. So Jack just let her stand up if that's what makes her comfortable. He said "Now, tell me what the trouble between us is. Maybe talking could help." He sat down.

"No talking. Why did you call me in your office, sir?"

"Because this is the only way I could talk to you, you don't talk to me outside, you don't talk to me on the phone as well, so I thought talking to you in the office is the only rightful choice I have."

"Why do you need to talk to me?"

"I did not explain myself clearly. I must apologize."

"You explained yourself very clearly. Don't make any mistake over that."

"Then I am afraid I don't understand what's going on."

"How the goddamn hell can you not understand that you won't have me around like this any longer?"

"I want to help you."

"I don't need your help anymore. I have somebody else helping me with the case."

"That has nothing to do with what I really want. That is not necessary."

"What do you mean not necessary?"

"Please, Alice," said Jack, "Do keep calm."

He swung around and seemed to be about to say something to her, but checked the words. After a moment, he turned back and spoke to her in a quieter manner.

"When we first came here to this point, you and I both have that look in our eyes. I know what you wanted. I can see it in your eyes when we started talking to each other."