17.5

S

It's been weeks since I've been to school. Ethan was still living with Grayson, I knew eventually that he'd be caught but I was putting off that day.

I got out of my car and looked at the brick building that resembled the jail he once was promised 30 years in.

I grabbed my books out of the backseat and pressed the lock button on my keys.

I walked through the doors and instantly got stares and heard whispering.

It was evident that everyone noticed my absence.

I walked to my locker and opened it, putting the books I didn't need for first period on the top shelf.

I shut the locker door and pulled out my phone to check my notifications.

I was alone here now. Taylor stopped talking to me after I brought her to Kennedy and soon her group did too.

I walked past the office and rolled my eyes at the stares the staff were giving me.

My anxiety got to the best of me as I walked into my first period class and saw my teacher shocked at my attendance today.

"Miss Burns, what brings you to my class today?" She spoke out as everyone's attention was brought to me.

"Same as everyone else in this class, I have the worksheets I missed finished and if there's any tests I've missed I'll be glad to do them after school" I said a bit to sassily as I walked over to her desk and placed the work on her desk and smiled.

I walked over to my desk and sat down, pulling out my phone.

I scrolled through Instagram before the bell rang as the last person who entered the class caught my attention.

I forgot he was in this class.

My eyes met Grayson and he sat down across from me.

I got in my car after a dreadful day, I missed how school used to be. How I enjoyed going to school to see my friends, now I dreaded the days and wished I'd never have to go back.

I heard someone walking towards me and I looked back at the bulk body standing behind me.

"We need to talk" he said a bit too viciously for my liking.

"About?" I asked sassily as I placed my books in my back seat.

He leaned against the drivers door and rolled his eyes.

"You know exactly what I want to talk to you about" he spoke harshly.

I looked at him and crossed my arms.

"I don't know what you want me to say Grayson"

"I want you to tell me what's going on with you two? He ruined our relationship, he ruined someone's life, he ruined his own life Shelby" he said as he bit his index finger nail and I cringed at his habit of biting his nails when he was stressed.

"He didn't ruin our relationship, I did when I slept with him. He's changed Grayson and you can't even say you don't see it. He has been clean for weeks, he hasn't drank and he's becoming his old self"

"And what exactly is that? Because since the day Ethan was born he's been troubled and you know it. He isn't changing, he just wants to make the most of his last days" he spoke lightly.

"You knew from day one that it was him and not you, as soon as I laid my eyes on him you knew it Grayson... I'm sorry that I hurt you like that and didn't end it sooner... but you know that I love him and that I always will. So I don't know what you want me to tell you, do you want me to sorrow that one day he'll be gone or live in the moment?" I spoke too lightly as tears filled my eyes and my voice cracked a few times.

"I just don't understand how you always have so much love and hope for him when no one else does. You can always find your way back to him, even when the police can't even find their way to him..."

He walked away and left me crying on the side of my car thinking about the love of my life one day being locked up for the rest of his life or slowly dying out from lethal injections on a chair.