The Final Chapter

Start from the beginning

"What's going on?" his facial expression quickly changes to of worrisome. Oblivious, as always.

I walk over to grab his hand, pulling him to the center of the room. William, behind Louis, waves the little black box in his hand, quickly hiding it behind his back before Louis sees it. Smiling at him, he nods his head and waits for the "go" signal.

"Harry, why does everyone look like they're about to cry?" he asks, whispering.

"Because they will in a few minutes," he's taken aback by my answer, furrowing his brows.

Before he's able to say anything, I speak up for the moment I've been waiting for for so long.

"I remember playing in your backyard when we were about seven and it was somewhere around that time that I developed a feeling that I couldn't quite understand. At the age of seventeen, I saw you for the first time in ten years, pinned up against a locker in the hallways, ready to get beat and I saved you. Believe it or not, in that moment, when it was just us two in the hallways I got that same feeling when we were seven again, and I don't think I'd felt that feeling since, and I still didn't know what it was. It wasn't until a few months later when I started to get an idea of what that feeling was. Once I found out what I was feeling, I didn't hesitate in telling you. If I remember correctly, which I'm sure I do since it was one of the best moments in my life, we were out in front of your house and you had asked me where we stood. When you asked me that, I was stuck, tongue tied, knowing what to say but I couldn't get it out, but the moment I did, it felt like what this feels right now," Louis' lips begin to part as he realizes what this is. He doesn't say a word, allowing me to continue speaking, both of his hands in mine, I look down at them, trying to keep myself from choking on my words.

"So much as has happened since we were seventeen, unimaginable things. We've both been through hell, the worst kind, yet we're here now. The hardships we've had to face through all these years, make us who we are today and give us the life we have. For example, the moment I found out you were dying, and I was crying on the hospital floor, pounding the walls, I couldn't stop thinking about what was going to happen to my future. No matter what I did, what I though, you would somehow end up taking a part in what I wanted in the future. I guess it was a moment of life that served as a reality check, opening my eyes and realizing that I didn't know what I could be without you, I'm nothing. I thought about a future together, having kids, being married, growing old together, and out of all those things we've only accomplished one, but I'm ready to accomplish the rest if you allow me. You're probably asking yourself why I've waited so long to do this, I swear I have a good reason for it. When I found out we were able to have kids of our own, with the help of someone to carry them for us, I knew it wouldn't be right if I took the fast approach. The only reason I've waited this long for this, is only because I wanted Eva and William to be old enough to remember this moment, and cherish it. Because trust me baby, if it weren't for that, I would've done it in a heartbeat years back. But we're here, right now, and that's all that matters. With that, I think it's time to begin this moment that we will cherish forever."

My heart beats at the fastest pace it ever has. Memories of years passed flash in front of my eyes, all the times Louis has stood in front of me like this, just not because of this. So many thoughts clash into my head, making this moment more emotional than I thought it would. I guess it's a good thing. The fact that all these amazing moments are crossing through my head while I'm standing right in front of the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, it's all overwhelming.

With my palms sweaty and shaky, I still hold on to Louis' hands as I feel his heart beat palpitate through his hands. Both of us nervous as can be, continue to stand, though our feet feel like they're about to give up any second.