Chapter 50: The Book

"Hey Billy." I said as he spun me around.

"Ready to go?" He asked

"I guess." I said shrugging my shoulders.

I handed him my bag and turned to grab Zak's suitcase. As I picked it up Zak took it gently out of my hands and started walking to the van.

"I could of gotten that you know." I said.

"I know, you just didn't have too." He replied smiling.

"Is Nick coming?" I asked

"Not this one he got busy." Aaron called out.

I walked out of the house and shut the door behind me locking it. This is my first lockdown without Nick. I dont know how I feel about this, something is missing. I climbed in the van and looked around.

"Like a mini RV in here." I said amazed looking around.

The floor was hardwood, there were tv's couches, bathroom with a shower and a bedroom with one bed with a door.

"See thought we would like this better than flying." Zak said setting his phone on the counter.

"Nick would of loved this." I said.

Zak nodded his head and turned to Billy,

"Got the directions and all?" Zak asked.

"I do." Billy replied

We sat down and Billy started the van. We drove out of the driveway and made our way through the town to the freeway.

I pulled out my phone and messaged Nick

"I think they're all excited for the Lockdown, Billy came 2 hours early to get going." I sent

"Lockdown?" Nick replied back

"Yeah, Zak said you were busy??" I replied back looking up at Zak

"Uh yeah no it's all good, I am kinda busy." Nick replied.

"What's wrong?" I asked

"Nothing feels weird not being on a lockdown." He replied.

"I understand but next one right?" I asked

"Yeah Ash, of course. Love you."

"Love you too." I sent.

"Hey dad." I asked

"Yeah?" Zak asked not looking up from him phone.

I opened my mouth to say something but closed it.

"Nevermind." I said quiet.

"Okay hun" Zak replied.

I pulled out my possessions book and continued reading about it.

One chapter was on Robert the Doll,

"Museum staff noticed a shift of energies at the Fort East Martello Museum. Though Robert was not initially on display, he started receiving visitors as word spread about his new residence. Once he was put on exhibit, cameras and electronic devices malfunctioned in his presence, and soon letters began arriving addressed to the doll offering apologies for disrespectful behavior or asking forgiveness."

I read on and on soaking up every piece of information until I stopped and closed the book.

"Mason's blanket." I thought.

"Mason's blanket." I said soft

Aaron looked at me

"Mason's blanket." I said louder looking at Aaron with a blank expression.

"Zak" Aaron said prolonged

"Mason's blanket." I said again

I looked at Zak who was infront of my face in the blink of an eye.

"Ash" Zak said stern.

I looked at him and didn't blink.

"Okay I think we need a break from this." Zak said softly.

He reached for the book on possessions and I immediately snatched it back.

"Mine!" I yelled.

"Shit." Zak said looking at me.

"She got possessed by reading the book?" Aaron said confused.

"Its rare but she has been reading it nonstop for a few days." Zak replied trying to take the book from me again.

I let go of the book and Zak took it past my eyesight. Zak came back and looked at me.

"Lay off the reading for a bit." Zak said almost mad.

I looked at him with a little life in my eyes.

"I fucking told you that this shit isn't a joke Ash! You know better than to suck yourself into books about this stuff nonstop. It will harm you, you feel like you're getting attached you stop reading. You talk to me." Zak said stern.

"I'm sorry." I replied vague.

"Good thing Debbie is joining us." Zak said on his way to sit back down.

"Is this why you didn't tell Nick." I asked still feeling woozy.

"Yea." Zak replied blank.

"Why were you repeating Mason's blanket?" Aaron asked switching his looks between me and Zak.

"I don't know." I said back

"Well let's stop and stretch our legs huh?" Billy called out.

"Sounds like a nice idea." Aaron said.