Chapter 55: Hostile Fire

Princess Kaiya of Valla

We rose early the next day and rode on in complete silence. Even the birds had stopped singing, as if they sensed our loss. Every time a twig snapped, I jumped.

It was perhaps no great surprise when the flapping of a bird sent the entire Nohrian group into disarray.

Elise's wily pony spooked and bolted, crashing into Zodiac's rear end. He squealed and kicked, cantering away.

I pulled back on the reins, and his strides slowed.

But the bird and Elise's pony had scared the rest of the herd. Leo's mare galloped up beside Zodiac, accompanied by my brother's loud cursing. Zodiac, thinking it was a race, shot forwards again, moving from a steady canter into a full-pelt gallop and shooting away from the group.

"Steady!" I pulled the reins. "Who-oa! Trot, Zodiac!"

He eased back into a fast canter, but it was still too much. The trees were coming towards us quickly, almost impossible for me to steer him around. As we approached the next, he went one way -- and I went the other.

I flew over his head, turning as I fell and landing on my back. My sudden dismount startled him so much that he screeched to a halt. He lowered his head and snorted at me, his eyes wide.

I pushed myself upright. My back was sore, but everything seemed to be working.

"Thanks, Zodiac." I stood up slowly. "At least that made you stop."

"I am the forgotten dragon," an echoing voice whispered.

I took Zodiac's reins and looked around. No one was there.

"The betrayed king," the voice continued. "The entombed god."

Chills raced up my spine. "Hello?"

Something rustled in the trees behind us. I turned around just in time to see a bolt of magic roaring towards me.

***

The floor was hard and lumpy beneath my back. My ears were ringing, and my chest ached. A breeze was blowing over me, and I shivered. Where were my blankets?

Oh, hell. Have I passed out again?

I slowly opened my eyes.

Yes. I was not lying in my bed, but in the forest. Gunter was standing over me, holding the reins of his horse in one hand and those of Zodiac in the other. I could hear hoof beats all around and the others shouting my name, but it faded in and out, overpowered by the horrible ringing in my ears.

Gunter started speaking, but I could only catch some of his words. "Ah ... coming to. Thank ... I only just ... you, my lady. Did you fall ... Zodiac?"