Chapter 46: Taming Forgiveness

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

Kass was magnificently terrifying as a dragon.

It seemed like a horrible dream to suddenly see her diving towards me, and it wasn't until Xander was on the floor that I truly understood what had happened. She was a robust beast, with enormous wings and a gigantic tail that she was holding straight out and still, like an animal waiting to pounce. It was as if I was staring into a mirror, but there was something disjointed and unreal about it.

Kass shouldn't have been able to transform.

Elise was sprawled in front of me, unharmed but frozen with shock. Camilla and Leo lowered their weapons, allowing Hinoka and Takumi the freedom to turn around and see what was happening. All of them looked equally dumbstruck.

No, I thought, staring along with them. She can't suffer like I did.

It was memory of that suffering which finally brought me to my senses. I pushed away from the wall, my arms shaking. "Azura, sing!"

She was staring at Kass, her eyes blank. "I t-thought she wasn't..."

"Azura!" Ryoma snapped. He strode across the room towards her. "Please!"

His sudden movement caught Kass' interest, and she backed away from Xander. Behind her, he sat up slowly.

Azura lifted her pendant.

You are the ocean's grey waves

Destined to seek life beyond the shore, just out of reach

Kass shrank away from her, releasing a groan that reverberated around the room.

Yet the waters ever change

Flowing like time

The path is yours to climb

Kass' knees gave way. She sank to the floor, the weight of her dragon body so great that the room shook on impact. Roaring, she struggled for a moment to get back up, then suddenly lay still and turned her head to look at Xander.

"Why isn't it working?" Takumi asked. "It worked on Nayoko."

"Not immediately," Hinoka pointed out.

Leo frowned. "I think she wants Xander to do something."

Kass moaned, quiet but imploring. She was still watching Xander. He was looking back at her, transfixed. Now that he'd got over his initial shock, he didn't seem afraid.

I approached him. "Perhaps she wants us to make up? After all, I think she transformed because she believed that you were going to kill me -- and Elise."

Xander's jaw tightened. "I was only intending to take out my frustration on you. I shouldn't have done, and I'm sorry."

Kass lowered her head to the ground, semi-satisfied. But she moaned again.