Chapter 26: Morning Star

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

Half a week at sea brought us to Notre Sagesse. On the morning we were due to land, as I stood on deck alone and watched the horizon for sign of the island, Hinoka approached me.

"Nayoko?"

I turned around. She was standing a few paces away, dressed in the sky knights' uniform but not yet in her armour. It left her looking small and vulnerable. Tufts of her short, red hair were sticking up as if she'd been running her hands through it, and her eyes were blunt with tiredness.

I'd hardly caught a glimpse of her for days, and I hadn't realised she'd been carrying so much worry. With an army to lead, I'd shoved our last encounter aside as best I could and tried to move on. Now I wished that I'd spoken to her again.

"I'm sorry," I said. It was an apology for what I'd done as a brother and what I'd done as a soldier.

She stood beside me at the railings. Her own duties had kept her busy, but by rights, my responsibilities should have been hers. The role of the leader had only fallen into my hands because I was the chosen saviour, yet, despite her thoughts on my behaviour, she'd never resented me for it. I was lucky to have such a sister.

I cleared my throat. "I'm not very good with family anymore, Hinoka. Over the years, I've trained myself to be only a soldier. I'm trying to find the man who I used to be, but sometimes, I will lose him."

"I understand now," she said. "I've been thinking about it, and you're not so different to a Hoshidan general. I suppose you are a general."

"For the short term," I reminded her.

She was so swept up in her thoughts, she didn't seem to hear. "I should have known all along that you wouldn't be the same person you were when you left. I think I did know, but I didn't want to see it. Not because you aren't my brother like this...but because I couldn't bear to acknowledge how much time we've missed." Her fingers curled into fists. "Sixteen years..."

"I'm sorry."

Fury lit a spark in her eyes. "Don't ever say that. You didn't leave by choice, and you didn't choose to be influenced by the Nohrian scum, either." She gripped my shoulder. "I love you just as much now as I did back then, no matter what. I need you to know that."

"I know," I said softly. "And I love you, too."

Her jaw slackened with surprise, and her grip on my shoulder tightened. Slowly, her eyes filled with tears.

I drew her into my arms, shushing gently. "I do love you. I still don't remember our time before this...but I do love you."

"Thank you," she whispered.

***

We reached the harbour of Notre Sagesse an hour later. Situated much closer to Nohr than Hoshido, it was an overcast island, but nowhere near as gloomy as the country I'd grown up in. Half-timbered houses stood beneath the clouds, and fishermen unloaded their wares on the docks. Complaints rose on our deck about the smell, but I ignored both them and the fish as we prepared to land.