Chapter 13: The Path is Yours

Prince Nayoko of Hoshido

A black cloud hung over us all for the next week, beginning from the moment we left the ruined capital city and continuing until we'd marched right to the border. Kass seemed less tense around our siblings, but she always marched in silence. I wondered if she felt as conflicted as me now.

We arrived at the border on the seventh day of our travels, during the afternoon. A large segment of the Nohrian army had already reached the rolling, grassy plains. And there, standing at the front of them on their horses and wyverns, were my four Nohrian siblings.

As soon as Xander saw us, his face lit up. "Kass! Norton! You're alive!"

My other Nohrian siblings found us with their eyes, and each one of them smiled at me -- even Leo. My heart twisted.

"Xander!" Kass called, her voice filled with joy.

We halted a way back from them. Ryoma's jaw tightened as he looked at Xander, and I saw the puzzle pieces fall into place in his eyes. This was why Kass had reacted so aggressively to his comments about Nohr. This was why she'd had a difficult time accepting him. This was the shadow he'd unknowingly been standing in.

"Join us, and we'll end this quickly," Xander said.

Ryoma turned to Kass. "Don't be fooled by his words. You belong here, with your true family!"

"We've loved you and raised you since you were children." Xander extended a hand. "Come home!"

"Stay here," Ryoma growled. "If you go forward to talk with them, I cannot promise that my archers will hold fire."

"Then don't promise." Kass took a deep breath and raised her chin. "I'm sorry, Ryoma, but I wish to do more than speak with them. I cannot stay here, and I cannot fight for Hoshido. No matter my blood, I'm Nohrian in my heart."

He stared at her. "What? How can you say that? Open your eyes! They killed our mother!"

"King Garon killed our mother," Kass corrected.

"Then how can you fight for that monster? You are a princess of Hoshido! You're my sister!"

"So I may be, but I will not abandon the only family I have truly ever known. Understand that I don't hate you, Ryoma. Or any of you." She swept her gaze over the rest of our Hoshidan siblings, who were all listening with pale faces. "But the Nohrians were there for me when my own blood was not. I will never turn against them. I love them."

"I cannot express what this means to us, Kass," Xander said, a genuine smile brightening his features. "Father will be pleased."

"Are you certain of that, Prince Xander?" Ryoma scoffed. "Surely you must know of King Garon's attempt to murder her!"

As quickly as it had come, Xander's smile vanished. "Explain yourself. Swiftly."

"The sword your father gave to Kaiya exploded in our capital city. If our mother hadn't sacrificed herself, she and Nayoko would be dead!"