Chapter 12: Devastated Reconcile

Princess Kaiya of Hoshido

That afternoon, Azura and I accompanied Sakura to the medical ward, both of us having been taught basic medicinal knowledge. Norton, Ryoma, Hinoka, and Takumi took some healers back into the city to provide on-site emergency care, leaving us alone.

As I worked in the medical ward, I thought. Semyaza was a wise woman -- I should have enjoyed what I'd been missing for so long. I'd never wanted for any other siblings, but I had been without a mother. My opportunity to get to know her and love her had been stolen away. And King Garon had been planning it from the moment I'd left the fortress.

I'd been nothing but a weapon.

"Please could you pass me the bandages, Kaiya?" Sakura asked.

I startled and grabbed bandages from the bedside table. An unconscious soldier was lying on the cot in front of us with a deep leg wound, and Sakura set about binding it. Her hands were shaking, but that was the only sign of distress she'd shown for hours. She wasn't even stuttering. Healing seemed to keep her mind occupied.

I wished that I could say the same.

"Kaiya?"

I blinked, my gaze refocusing. Sakura was looking at me expectantly. Her arm was outstretched, the bandages balanced in her palm. "Could you put them back, please?"

I dropped them on the bedside table. "My apologies."

"You should have a break."

To my horror, my eyes filled with tears. "No! You need a break more than me. This is all my fault. I have to stay and help."

"We have plenty of other healers," Azura said. She was standing on the other side of the cot, mixing a vulnerary. "It's fine."

She and Sakura turned back to the patient, shutting me out of the scene.

Deciding that I might as well be useful while I was having a rest, I retreated to the storeroom. But when I got there, I couldn't bring myself to look for extra bandages or vulneraries. I just sank down in the corner and drew my knees up to my chin. My defences broken, I burst into tears.

Sitting there alone reminded me of my days in the Northern Fortress after my brother had gone. He'd always been the strong one. He'd become a soldier six years before me, he was the wielder of Yato and the saviour of the world, and now he was helping to excavate survivors from the rubble -- and probably not crying.

I wished Xander was here to hold me: I always felt safe in his arms. Or Camilla, who would swear to kill the cause for my tears. Or Elise, who would try her hardest to make me smile and probably succeed. Even Leo would be a welcome comfort. He'd grumble at first, but it wouldn't be long before he'd soften.

The door creaked open, and I looked up. It was Sakura.

She crossed the room, already sobbing before she fell into my arms. Startled, I straightened my legs and held her close. The way she was openly seeking comfort made my shattered heart melt. At last, I felt a connection between us.