Chapter 57

- 14 years old -

As Jasmine lay on her stomach in the living room flipping through the latest copy of People magazine, she listened to the other girls surrounding her. Daisy sat on the couch beside Michelle while Hilary took place in the oversized reading chair. Sierra and Lindsay sat on the floor beside Jasmine painting each other's nails. 17 Again played on the television for background noise.

"I would like a spring wedding," Hilary said as she braided her long strawberry blonde hair. "All the fresh flowers, and the purest green leaves on the trees."

"Can't wear a ball gown in nature," Michelle piped in.

"Of course not," She shook her head as a smile grew. "It would be a high-low cut dress with capped sleeves in a champagne color."

"Flowers," Lindsay asked.

"Wisteria's. They would pop with the green and brown of the woods. What about you Sierra?"

"Classic church wedding, with my families pasture marrying us. Pink roses tied with a gold ribbon. A white gown with the longest train you've ever seen."

"Michelle," Hilary asked looping a rubber band at the end of her braid.

"All I know is I'm going to sparkle," Michelle struck a dramatic pose from her seat beside Daisy. "My dress is going to have glitter and I want a tiara with my veil. Daisy?"

"I'll just steal one of your ideas," she shrugged running her fingers through her short hair.

"What?" Lindsay stopped painting Sierra's nail, to look at Daisy surprised.

"Maybe I don't want to get married," Daisy replied coolly.

"You will," Jasmine called out, turning another page in the magazine. A handful of popcorn rained over Jasmine causing her to look at her best friend. Daisy looked at her innocently as she picked a piece from her hand.

"What about you, Jazz," Hilary asked. The tone of her voice made Jasmine's stomach drop. "What will yours and Liam's wedding look like."

"Who said it would be Liam," Jasmine asked, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"You two would be perfect together," Lindsay smiled as she focused on Sierra's nails.

"Not to mention," Sierra added, "You two have been basically a couple since fifth grade."

"No, we haven't."

"I'm team Garrett," Michelle said, grabbing a handful of her own popcorn.

"Whoa," Jasmine turned on to her side to focus on everyone. "What do you mean team Garrett?"

"Oh yeah," Hilary smiled, ignoring Jasmine's question. "I forgot about the superman from the Junior class. He's good looking."

Jasmine looked to Daisy for help. Not only was she confused as to how Garrett was now a factor in her love life, but she was more confused on how no could hear her protests.

"I don't think she'll end up with Liam," Daisy said flatly.

"Another one for team Garrett," Michelle cheered.

"No way would that happen either." All eyes fell on Daisy.

"What does that mean," Lindsay asked, adjusting her glasses.

"It means, I think she will find someone not from this town. Someone none of us have dated, or even met."

A soft smile curved onto Jasmine's face at the positive choice of words from her friend. Daisy knew Jasmine had no desire to stay in Illinois. There was little point to. She could come visit her family, and there were plenty of jobs available everywhere. All she need was the high school diploma then she would be free to travel anywhere.

"If you aren't going to make a move on Garrett, can I," Hilary asked, and all the girls laughed at her forwardness, Jasmine included.

"Whatever floats your boat, Hilly."

"Poor Liam," Sierra sighed.

Jasmine ignored her and returned to her magazine. The glossy pages holding little of her focus as she continued to listen to the other girls discussing a new topic, the upcoming school year. As freshmen, they would be low man on the totem. Hilary reminded them all of the opportunities that waited for them beyond the doors of the ancient school. All of the clubs and sports they could sign up for. The multiple dances which would mean shopping trips for dresses.

All Jasmine thought about everything she said. Clubs and sports that would create a rift in their group as everyone found their new friends. Dances that would mean finding a date to dance with. Important tests that would determine their futures. Then there would be the dreaded college searches and applications. Some of it seemed so far away, but also so close.

A second movie was put on and everyone began falling asleep. Hilary had relinquished her spot on the chair for a section of the floor alongside Daisy and Lindsay. Sierra was on the outer edge beside Lindsay and Jasmine was at the other end beside Daisy. Michelle stayed on the couch since she was the first to fall asleep and Daisy hadn't felt like waking her up to fight over who got to sleep there.

Daisy looked at Jasmine and whispered her name, "Are you awake?"

Jasmine let out a shush as she tried to stay lost in her slumber.

"Do you really have no interest in Garrett," Daisy peeked over to the girls beside her before saying his name. She sent up a silent prayer that none of them were faking to eavesdrop.

"What," Jasmine's forehead wrinkled as she slowly opened one eye then the next. Her eyes remained narrow slits to avoid the painful brightness from the T.V.

"Earlier, you made it sound like you don't like Garrett. At least more than just a friend," her voice was still low as she played with the fray edges of the blanket covering her. "I was curious if that was true."

"I like Liam, Dais. You know that."

"You can like two guys at once," Daisy mumbled still avoiding her friends quizzical stare.

"If you're just going to ramble," Jasmine yawned, laying her head back on the decorative pillow from the couch, "I'm going back to sleep."

"I think I like Garrett, but I don't want to get into a fight over a boy. Not with you."

"We will never fight over a boy," Jasmine promised, yawning in between her words. "Now will you tell me about your dream wedding?"

"Well," Daisy let a giddysmile spread across her face as she laid back on floor. "I want sunflowers.Big, beautiful sunflowers everywhere."