Chapter 31

Three weeks had passed since Garrett and Jasmine agreed to make their friendship more serious. Nothing with titles, at Garrett's request. The last thing he wanted was to scare her into reconsideration.

"Don't you ever get tired of working at the same place," Garrett asked, flipping through the limited channels on the television. Jasmine would have shaken her head had she not been trying to pull her hair into a tail.

"No."

"How? I would be bored."

"Yes, you would mister adventure man," she mocked him.

"My career lets me see the world. What does yours do," Garrett asked her. He pulled himself to his feet then strolled across his apartment to her. Jasmine sank back against his chest as his arms wrapped around her waist from behind.

"Mine lets me build greater bonds with faces I grew up seeing, but never knowing," she rested her hands on his crossed arms.

"In other words, nothing of excitement." Jasmine rolled her eyes and pushed his hands free of her torso.

"I'll see you after work," she kissed his cheek, fearing that kissing his lips would make her late. He kissed her forehead in response then watched her leave. Once he heard the door at the bottom of the stairs slam shut, he walked over to the dresser in the living room. Pulling open the bottom drawer, he pushed past a few jeans and found the envelope he put there earlier in the week.

Sitting on the futon, Garrett pulled out the letter again and read over it. It was his notice that the Army was requesting that he reenlist. It had arrived not long after they returned from the camping trip. After reading it, he hid it out of sight from Jasmine. They had a deal after all. If she knew he was considering extending his contract again, she might run. She might fight back and call him out for breaking more than one promise.

Garrett let the letter fallonto the table in front of him. It stared at him longing for an answer. Itlonged for his commitment. Hoping that he wouldn't abandoned his fellowsoldiers and the cause they worked to protect. Locking his fingers behind hishead, he grew frustrated at the black letters on the off-white sheet of paper.He had one tour left before his contract was up. Kicking the makeshift tableholding up the request, he watched it shutter then still. He pulled himself uponce more and stalked off toward the bathroom.

**~~**

"Honeymoon phases are the best aren't they," Daisy cooed while waiting for the side of fries for an order.

"What," Jasmine asked, loading her tray up to take out to one of her tables.

"The honeymoon phase," Daisy repeated herself, trying not to lose her chipper attitude. "The part of the relationship just after you're comfortable with each other, but you aren't ready to be living together."

"Yeah. Sure. It's great," Jasmine mumbled. Hoisting the tray over her shoulder, she used the heel of one shoe to push the swinging doors opened. Jasmine had spent the last few days trying to convince Daisy to tone down the goo-goo eyes and weightless vibes she was gushing about. Jasmine could only handle so much happiness before she could feel herself ready to snap.

"Hey," Garrett smiled at her from the counter seating. He had chosen the stool closest to the kitchen doors.

"Don't you get tired of eating from the same place all the time," Jasmine joked, pushing stray hairs behind her ear.

"I thought I'd surprise my mom with some food."

"Stop holding up my staff," David called from the window between the kitchen and dining room.

"I haven't seen Daisy come through that door yet," Garrett challenged. With an audible sigh from the kitchen, Daisy pushed through the doors with a few baskets in her hand for a table.

"You suck," she grumbled through gritted teeth before gliding over to the table.

"I didn't know you were going to see her today."

"Family picnic is this weekend and she called me stressed," he shrugged telling Jasmine a strangled truth. His mother hadn't called him about the picnic, but she had invited him out when he called her.

"That's right," Jasmine's hand rubbed her forehead. "I completely forgot about that."

"One stressed woman at a time please," Garrett teased, one of his hands rested on her hip. He tugged her closer and kissed her cheek. "How about two cheeseburgers with everything and fries."

"You got it," she smiled wearily at him. She stepped away and disappeared through the kitchen doors. He could hear her giving the order to David and his smile faded.

"What's got you in a funk," Daisy asked on her way back from the table she had just served.

"Nothing," Garrett replied and changed the topic, "You coming this weekend? Mom would love to see you."

"Now you're just being weird." Daisy crossed her arms over chest and tilted her head. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Can you check on my food," he waved his hand at her.

"Dave just threw it on the grill. You still have five minutes," Daisy leaned against the edge of the counter and crossed her arms, "Join me for a smoke break?"

"Fine," he slipped off the stool and went out the door, holding it for her.

"So," she held out her hand asking for a cigarette, "What's going on with you? Are you regretting this relationship? I'll kick your ass if you -"

"Come on, Daisy. Cut me some slack," he pulled the box out pocket and passed one of the smokes to her. "I just got some news a few days ago. It's messing with my head."

"Spill." She waited for the lighter. He lit his own cigarette before cupping a hand around hers and lighting it for her. They both took a drag, let it out and Daisy stared at him still waiting. Taking a deep breath, Garrett started to tell her about the letter, his and Jasmine's deal and everything in between.

When she was certain he had finished she looked at him, "You've got to tell her."

"I'm going to."

"Before you leave again."

"I will," he sighed, throwing the end of his cigarette into the parking lot. Daisy took one more drag before throwing hers. He held the door open for her and followed her back into the diner. David was yelling something as Jasmine pushed through the kitchen door with a brown bag in her hand.

"Foods ready," Jasmine smiled walking over to Garrett. Daisy gave him a pointed look from over Jasmine's shoulder before entering the kitchen.

"Thanks," he kissed her cheek.

"I'll see you tonight?"

"Tonight?"

"Family dinner tonight. My parent's house six o'clock," she put a hand on his chest. "If you can't make it there will be one next week."

"I will be there," he took the bag from her, planting a light kiss on her lips.

"Jasmine," David called.

"I'll see you tonight,"Jasmine left him. He put a twenty-dollar bill on the counter and left.