Chapter 9

"Did you eat a batch of bad onion rings," Daisy shouted from behind the counter. She was working one of the few shifts they didn't share. Strands of pink and black hair were falling out of the braids as she glared at Jasmine.

"Excuse me," a middle-aged man walked up to the girls. Jasmine recalled seeing him a time or two before, but she wouldn't call him a regular.

"One moment, please." Jasmine smirked as she imagined what Daisy would say to the customer if David hadn't just got through discussing serving manners.

"Help the customer," Jasmine waved to the gentleman before leaving her seat. "I have to go check the schedule really quick anyways."

Pushing open the swinging doors, Jasmine stumbled into the kitchen. David watched her from his place beside the grill. He set down the spatula and wiped his hands with the bottom half of his apron. "Why are you always riling her up?"

"It's not me doing it. She does it all on her own," Jasmine replied as she approached the calendar beside the server's cubbies.

"Are you looking to pick up shifts or cut a few loose?"

"Neither," she smiled, studying the same schedule layout from the previous three weeks. "Daisy was about to chew me out in front of a customer, so I told her I needed to come back here to check this."

"That girl does have a loud side to her, doesn't she?" He didn't wait for a response as he turned back the burger patties on the grill. Jasmine smiled softly as she admired the calmness that always enveloped David. She had never seen him lose his temper or throw something across the room. His words of wisdom proved that his serene demeanor was all natural.

"What's your secret?"

"Huh," David peeked over his shoulder as Jasmine approached him.

"How do you stay so... so... so Zen," She asked finally finding the word.

"Years of practice," he smiled, his eyes squinting.

"You make it sound like you're eighty-two or something."

"Would you believe me if I told you being Zen is also the remedy to aging?"

"Do I believe anything you say?"

"Fair enough." He flipped one of the patties and reached for the bun which was simmering face down on the cooktop beside the grill. "I think I've found my place and am content with life. I'm not rushing to get to my next destination, you know?"

"You've always wanted to be flipping burgers at your own restaurant?"

"Of course not," David laughed. Jasmine hopped up onto the counter near the sink. "I did want to be my own boss though, and when Gramps left me the diner it worked itself out. It already had the business it needed to stay open, I'm in charge of everyone who works here and get to see the happy faces of people like Rudy and Misses Kilnsmen. It's not often that the outcome is that positive, but I was fortunate. I believe that someday you, and even Daisy, will find that place of happiness."

"I think you've got heat stroke from standing over that grill for the last seven years," Jasmine teased. She jumped down from the counter and flashed him a smile. "Thanks, Dave."

Waving his grease coveredspatula, David went back to making the sandwich that was about ready to go out.Jasmine entered the dining room to see Daisy busy with two new tables. Shewaved quickly as Daisy nodded her head in the Jasmine's direction and left.

**~~**

"You make my heart sing," Garrett hollered in Jasmine's direction as he sang along with the radio. "You make everything, Groovy."