Chapter 56

All of the chiffon, tulle and satin was starting to overwhelm Jasmine and Daisy as they looked through the racks of dresses. A sales woman had stopped them when they walked through the door of the bridal store and spoke to Daisy. She had pointed out a few styles on nearby mannequins asking for her opinions. She dismissed herself to pull a some she felt were good choices based on the ones Daisy had picked.

Gina, the sales associate, reappeared behind them, with a forced smile on her face. She ushered the girls to a hallway framed with curtains. A pale purple door with Daisy's name written on the small dry-erase board attached to the door was slightly opened. Jasmine sat on the small couch closest to Daisy's dressing room.

"Give these three a try and I'll be back in a few to see what you think. If you don't like any of them, I can grab a few more and swap them out," Gina clasped her hands at her waist, the forced smile still prominent on her face. "If you need any help, or something else to try, just let me know."

Jasmine waited for her to leave before looking at Daisy's annoyed face. She laughed when Daisy mouthed kiss ass before opening the dressing room door farther to enter. Her purple curls bounced as her head snapped back to Jasmine. "She's nuts."

"Why?" Jasmine craned her neck to try and look into the room. "What is it?"

"This is something you have to see on," Daisy positioned herself to block Jasmine's view. She closed the door and began the inevitably long process.

Jasmine's eyes scanned the space and scrunched up her nose at the pastel colored doors and bright white walls. Her eyes fell on the beautifully dressed mannequins along the far wall. One wore a ball gown with stitched on gems. Another was a modest A-line with a straight neckline and thins spaghetti straps. The third is the one that held her attention. A beautiful trumpet dress that looked more silver than white.

"Here I come," Daisy cheered as she stepped out of the room. Jasmine's head twisted back to her friend's dressing room and felt her eyes grow wide at the sight.

Daisy threw her hands up and twirled in place as the tight fitted mermaid dress with too much beading crinkled with the movement. Daisy shook her head and laughed as Jasmine sat speechless.

"It's not you," she finally choked out.

"No kidding," Daisy continued laughing as she ran her hands over the beading, and ruffled textures. "It's too stiff. How do women dance in this?"

Without saying another word, she shut the door. Jasmine's eyes were dragged back to the dress among the trio. She got to her feet and crossed her arms. She approached the dress with hesitation. The silvery satin called for her touch, and with an outstretched hand, her fingertips traveled over the bodice.

"It's a lovely dress," Gina spoke from beside Jasmine. "Would you like to try it on?"

"Oh," Jasmine jumped and began searching for the words. "No, thank you though. She's the one getting married."

"Just because her wedding is sooner doesn't mean she is the only one who should be looking." Jasmine sighed already knowing Gina had caught sight of the ring.

"I don't want to get my hopes up," Jasmine tried to play off the engagement that would never be, "A gown like this must cost a fortune."

"It couldn't hurt," Gina pushed then disappeared.

It could hurt a lot more than you think, Jasmine thought to herself as she crossed her arms again. She allowed her eyes to linger on the dress a few seconds more before returning to her seat. Daisy poked her head out of the dressing room and scanned the area. Jasmine raised her eyebrow confused by her sudden need to survey for onlookers. Opening the door further, Daisy pointed to her bare stomach with an expression of pure frustration.