Chapter 22

- 14 years old -

"Come on, Abby," Jasmine pleaded with her sister. "The storm is getting worse and we are already out past curfew."

"Then that is more reason to stay," Abigail spoke slowly as she placed a hand on Jasmine's shoulder. Frank was holding her other hand pulling her away from her sister.

"Then give me keys and you can catch a ride home with someone else."

"With what license? Ain't no way you're driving my car home." Frank pulled a little harder, causing Abigail to stumble into him. She turned back to her sister who starred on with concern. "Give me a half hour more and then we'll leave, okay?"

"A half hour," Jasmine repeated.

"Thirty minutes, Jazz, I promise." Abigail giggled as Frank grabbed her by her waist and continued to move them toward the mob of dancers. Jasmine watched them leave and suddenly felt alone in a room of fifty teens. Weaving her way through the crowd, she finally made it to the kitchen in search of something to drink.

"What'll it be, kid," a tall gangly boy asked as he messed with the keg to fill another red cup.

"Just water for me," Jasmine mumbled as she watched him. Dirty blonde hair was styled, but not to match the rest of him. Welcoming blue eyes glanced up at her.

"Isn't that a weak man's drink?"

"Isn't it illegal to be serving drinks to freshman," she nodded her head in the direction of some of her classmates.

"I won't tell, if you won't." He grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, twisted off the cap and poured it into a new red cup.

"Sounds fair to me."

"First party?"

"Pretty much," Jasmine took a drink from her cup. "Is it that obvious?"

"Nah, just never seen your face around before and this dude throws a lot of parties." He reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a red and white pack of cigarettes. "Mind stepping out with me?"

"You're abandoning your job as keg master?"

"It ain't my job. I was passing by and felt horrible for the beer being wasted by the idiots with no experience." Stepping over to a door opposite the sliding glass one he stepped out into the garage. Jasmine followed him, knowing she had nowhere else to be at the moment. The large doors were opened, as the few souls smoking watched the rain pour down. The boy fell onto an old tattered couch. He flipped open the two-toned box and pulled out a cigarette. He offered one to her and she shook her head.

Jasmine sat on the same couch but made a point of leaving space between them. He pulled a lighter out from the box and started the flame to light his cigarette. "So, you're a freshman?"

"Unfortunately," Jasmine sighed before taking another sip of her water. "My sister is a sophomore, which makes me practically invisible."

"What's your sister's name?"

"Abigail Meeker," she said her last name without thinking twice.

"Okay," he nodded contently as he took a drag. "What's your name?"

"You first."

"Garrett Olsen." Garrett extended his hand. She returned the gesture, locking their hands together.

"Jasmine Meeker."

"Pleasure to meet you, Jasmine." She returned his kind smile as they began to talk. It was the usual things at first; favorite teacher, most disliked teacher, favorite colors and authors. Everything had been so nice she almost forgot about her sister - almost.