Chapter 24

- 16 years old -

Liam knocked on the door and the one person he had prayed wouldn't answer was standing in front of him. A stoic expression rested on the older man's face as he pushed his glasses to the top of his head. His flannel proved he was comfortable only minutes before opening the door.

"Liam," he stepped back welcoming the young man in. Nodding once, and making sure he didn't make eye contact, Liam entered the house. Sadie charged toward him and sniffed him. Liam combed his finger through her fur. "So, where are you two headed tonight?"

"We are getting dinner with Daisy and Garrett. Something resembling a double date."

"Back by eleven," it came out as a statement with no room to renegotiate.

"Of course." Both of them turned toward the kitchen when they heard Jasmine talking to her mother. She was still smiling as she entered the living room. The denim skirt and purple tank looked perfect on her. The sight made the corner of Liam's mouth quirk up and her father's jaw tighten. Feeling the tension between him and her father, Liam cleared his throat, "You ready to go."

"Yup," Jasmine grabbed her keys, tossing them into her purse. Giving her father a quick peck on the cheek she said good-bye and followed Liam out the door. "So."

"He still hates me," Liam opened the trucks door for Jasmine and caught her biting her lip. "What?"

"Nothing," she leaned over and pulled the door closed. Shaking his head, he made his way to the driver's side. He climbed in and started the truck up. "He doesn't hate you."

"You been saying that since we were ten. Someday, Hun, you're going to have to accept the fact that your father isn't my biggest fan."

"Of course, he isn't," she slid across the seat to sit beside him, "That position is already filled."

"Are you sure," he smiled at her before backing the truck up and accelerating down the driveway to the street.

"Pretty sure," she leaned toward him and kissed his cheek. He turned his head and kissed her on the lips. He adjusted his grasp on the wheel to free one of his hands. His thumb brushed over the top of her hand before their fingers laced together. The feeling of his warm hand wrapped around her chilled one sent a wave of comfort through her. There was so much between them that it was hard to not find it easy.

As they pulled into the gravel parking lot, Daisy and Garrett were standing beside his truck. They were lip locked and barely noticed Liam's truck pulling in beside them. Jasmine could hear Liam groan at the sight, and she couldn't help but laugh. Both boys had agreed to this because of both their girlfriends had pleaded for weeks.

Garrett and Liam still had their issues, but Liam had backed off once Daisy entered his life. His insecurities washed away with the news of them being a couple. He had watched the way Garrett would gawk at Jasmine. It had bothered him, but it bothered him more after he had asked Jasmine out; both times.

"Come on," Jasmine squeezed his hand. She was biting her lip again. It was something she did when she felt she would have to give someone a push. He lifted their joined hands, kissed her knuckles before letting go.

"Hey, guys," Daisy smiled as Garrett wrapped his arms around her waist. "Who's ready for some really bad food?"

"You really couldn't find another place for dinner," Jasmine laughed looking at the sign dangling over the street. The Grain Bin was their place of employment and the only late-night dining in the whole town.

"Maybe old man Redington will give us a discount," Daisy shrugged. Garrett let his arms fall from her as he stepped in place beside her. She waved for them to follow as she dragged Garrett with her free hand. Liam gestured for Jasmine to follow them, then followed her.