"I'm completely lost. What's a hashtag?"

"It's a curious thing that help users identify relevant content. For example my favourite hashtag is 'Caturday' as it combines the joy of Saturday with amusing pictures of felines."

"It sounds like something that I need to see to understand."

"Quite so, which is why you must come to the party. There is no substitute for experience in this world, Cousin."

I had to admit, my curiosity was piqued and so I relented and agreed to go the party - just to see what it was like.

I slipped into the dress Natasha had chosen for me and we headed upstairs. Natasha looped her arm around mine and held onto me tightly as we stepped out into the hotel foyer. The place was buzzing with guests and vampires.

We weaved in out of the groups of people and headed towards the bar.

"I've never seen it so busy," Natasha remarked. "Reminds me of the twenties - now that was a fun decade."

"You lived through the twenties?" I asked, surprised.

"Oh yes, I was born in Iberia during the Napoleonic wars. I've seen many great changes through the years, some good, some bad... and some terrible."

"You were alive at the same time as Napoleon?" 

"I was indeed. My father, well vampire father, served in his militia until he defected to the London coven. We've been British ever since."

"So, how old are you?"

"Oh I stopped counting long ago, but I must be nearing two hundred years old."

"That's insane."

"I know. Mind blow."

We moved into the bar area which was packed out with people. Natasha held my hand as we pushed our way through the crowd to the VIP lounge. Natasha waved at two bouncers who quickly helped shepherd us into the less crowded VIP area.

"You'll never need to stand amongst the common riff-raff, here," Natasha said, straightening her dress. "The VIP areas are exclusively for coven members."

 I glanced around the bar and noticed the number of pale perfect faces staring back at me - but I also noticed that there were humans in the bar too. 

There was one familiar face I recognised, sitting next to human man, laughing casually at his jokes.

"Keira," I breathed.

"Oh dear, have you met Keira?"

"Oh yes," I replied coolly.

"Ah - I was hoping to leave her introduction until last. She has a reputation for being-"

"A rude condescending bitch?"

"Those are not the exact words I would have chosen, but you are right. Keira has a very high opinion of herself. Her father, Duncan owns the hotel."

"So she treats everyone like shit because her Daddy owns the hotel."

"Yes, that about sums it up."

I thought crossed my mind and I paused.

"Wait, isn't Duncan, Emma's father?" I asked.

"Well observed. He is and that makes Keira, Emma's sister."

"She doesn't seem very upset."

"That's just Keira, I'm afraid. There is no rhyme nor reason for that's girl's behaviour."