bite. chapter 28

“Look, here’s the deal. You’re little girlfriend is in a whole load of shit and if you don’t get this limo to do a u-turn right now then the government will consider you her accomplice as well. Come on Michael, be smart, terrorist is label you don’t want to be dirtied with.”

“Raphael, brother, you are right I should return Lorna to the holding facility. I should follow my orders and I should avoid making circumstances for both myself and Lorna, but, the beast inside me will not allow me to return Lorna to you. It will not listen to logic or orders or be brainwashed into believing something different. Lorna will not leave my side, the vampire in me will never let you take her.”

Michael’s hand grasped mine and he pressed a light kiss against my forehead. Raphael rolled his eyes and banged on the glass, “Stop the car. Michael wants a fight.”

The limo swung into a layby. I grabbed Michael’s arm, “Please, don’t do this, don’t get hurt. I don’t mind waiting a few days for the government to interrogate me.”

Michael shook his head, “Once the government knew that Micah was after you, there was no chance of them letting you go.” Michael said softly.

“Michael, please!” I said watching him leave the limo.

Raphael smiled patting me on the shoulder as he got out the car. “Don’t worry honey, I not going to kill him, severely maim maybe but not kill,” Raphael then yelled at the driver, “Lock the door Phil, I don’t want my little bird escaping.”

The door slammed and locked after Raphael exited. The windows were tinted and I could not see through the glass. I tried pulling at the door and banging on the driver’s window but my pleas to be let out were ignored. My heart was thundering in my chest. What was happening outside? The noise of the traffic made impossible to hear. Horrible images of battered Michael drifted through my mind. We had just got together after all this time and misunderstanding, we couldn’t be separated again. Tears burned in my eyes and I sat back down on the seat, “Please god, please let Michael win.” I whispered.

 The doors unlocked and the passenger door opened. I held my breath waiting to see who entered the car. Raphael causally entered the car covered in blood. Tapping the driver’s window he ordered the limo to be driven back to the facility. Numbly I sat on the leather seat unable to force air back into my lungs. Had Raphael killed Michael?

Raphael turned to look back at me and smiled pleasantly. He then pulled a white handkerchief out of his pocket and started wiping the blood off his hands. Sliding next to me he leaned back and groaned,

“Well that was pointless.”

I flew at him, kicking and clawing in an uncontrollable fit of rage. Raphael was fast and he was a soldier, combat was his trade. He easily caught my wrists and threw me back against the car seat.

“Sit down and shut up!” He shouted irritably.

“You killed him! You bastard-” My air way blocked off by Raphael’s steel grip.

“Listen carefully because I am only going to say this once. Vampires do not have to breathe, it’s damn uncomfortable even distressing especially to a baby vampire like yourself, but it is not necessary. Now if you are going to scream you lungs out at me for doing my job then I am going to take my belt off, wrap it round your throat and choke you until you cannot talk and leave you like that until I hand you over back to the facility. Do you understand?”

I nodded feebly. Raphael removed his hand and I gasped for breathe.

“You know this is your boyfriend’s own stupid fault,” Raphael said. “He should have complied with orders; he knew he was no match for me.”