Chapter 2

After I slipped into unconsciousness, time disappeared and there was nothing but immeasurable blackness. Was this death? Or was I still dying?

I didn't know, but at some point the blackness lifted and I became aware of my physical body. I moved my hand wondering if I was still laying on the pile of dead deer. 

To my relief, instead of fur, I felt the cool glide of silk beneath my fingertips.

There was sound, like feet shuffling to the right of me, then a soft feminine sigh.

"She's waking up."

"Oh, my stars! Get the camera ready!"

I open my eyes and get blinded by a flash of bright white light that hurts my eyes

"Oh, Magda! You forgot to turn the flash off!"

That voice, it was the voice of the woman with the red hair. I recognised that warm southern drawl. I cracked an eye open and saw the red-head standing beside me with another woman.

"Francesca, I do not know how your phone works. I can't get the touchscreen to work properly," the other woman explained in a thick Eastern European accent.

She fumbled about with a thin rectangular object, tapping on its surface. The redhead watched her for a few moments and then took it off her.

"Baby, you know I love you... but, you need to learn how to use this."

"I do know how to use it. See, I'm pressing the right buttons but my fingers don't seem to be able to work the screen. They don't register, see?"

Magda jabs at screen and shows it to the red-head.

The redhead takes the metal object and lightly taps on it screen before pointing it at me. She taps it again and a noise like a camera shutter emits from it.

"Aw, look at her. She's got your eyes!" the redhead smiles.

"Yes-yes, she is very cute," Magda replies gruffly.

"I'll use this picture for the scrapbook. It'll go right next to the page with that little bit of deer skin, I snagged from the pit! And that leaf I took from the street where we bit her."

"Frannie, please. Calm down."

"Oh, I am going to cherish this memory for the next ten centuries."

"Frannie, she's looking at us like we're a pair of serial killers."

Frannie paused and glanced down at me. "Oh, sweetheart. I'm sorry. Are you okay? Did I scare you with my chattering? I'm just so thrilled to finally see you."

"Where am I?" I ask.

She fidgets with my blanket and smiles, "You're safe and sound in the beautiful city of Prague."

I stare at her blankly. "Where is Prague?"

"Oh my days, aren't you precious! Prague is city in the Czech Republic. That's somewhere below Poland and Germany. I figured you wouldn't know that, having a public education and all, but when get home, you'll have the finest tutors."

"Wait, what? Are you telling me that I'm in Europe?"I ask her.

"Oh yes, we had you flown over here a few months ago. We wanted the perfect babymoon."

"A few months! No, this can't be real. I can't be in Europe."

Magda walked over to the window and opened the curtains. "Here, take a look for yourself."

I pushed myself off the bed and wobbled over to the window. The view was definitely not American. Imposing gothic spires dominated the cityscape, reaching high up and piercing the evening sky. Below, a wide river cut through streets and buildings, reflecting the above skyline.