Pat quickly realised I was approaching when Ron started pulling heavily on the lead in our direction.

"Hey" I said as I walked up and gave him a hug.

"Hey" he replied.

"Ready for your big day?" I asked him as we began walking around the track.

"Yep, just like any other" he replied.

I could tell he was trying to remain calm but deep down was extremely nervous for the day that was yet to come. He wasn't the sort of person to share his feelings too often. So I had learnt to understand his feelings without asking him.

It was all through body language and facial expressions. He honestly didn't make it that difficult for me in the end. I never struggled to understand him.

"That's good" I responded.

We walked around the loop with the dogs running ahead off the lead. Having the time of their lives as they got reacquainted after all these weeks apart.

Pat and I walked close by on one side of the path. Getting into deep conversations about work life and family stuff. I never felt uncomfortable having to talk about that stuff with Pat. He was easily the most easygoing person I had ever met.

Easy to talk to, and easy to have a laugh with when you needed it the most.

Our lap of the park went by just like that. And it was time to head out for breakfast together. We both got in our separate cars and drove there in less than 5 minutes.

After arriving at the usual cafe, I found Pat already seated with Ron lying down nearby. I don't know how but he always managed to get places before I did.

"How did you get here so fast" I exclaimed as I took a seat across from him.

"Just a good driver I guess" he replied cheekily.

"Yeah I'm sure that's it" I said sarcastically.

"Hey I'm a good driver" he complained.

"If that's what we're calling it now" I replied, egging him on the more I spoke.

Pat then we met inside to order us both something to eat. Knowing my order off by heart, I tried to hand him some money but he insisted on paying.

Our food came fairly quickly after that and we ate right away. Enjoying the last few moments in peace before the day became a little bit more hectic.

"I'm really proud of you, you know" I told him. Taking my chances that I had alone with him.

"Thanks George. Means a lot" he thanked me.

"I can't believe you've already played 100 games though" I said.

"Neither to be honest. Didn't think I'd even play one" he said. I laughed in response. "I really do appreciate you being here though George. I know you're still adjusting and all but this day is really important to me" he explained.

"I know" I nodded in agreement.

Once we finished eating, we both decided to head to the ground a bit early. Once we dropped the dogs at his house, we headed off in the same car to the G.

Since Pat already needed to go in earlier, I thought I would go in with him. And because he's the captain of the club, a milestone is a pretty big deal.

Who knows how many people were going to show up for the pregame. But I knew with the whole team there, all the coaching staff and physios. That was already a lot of people. Then there was the family.