MARINE JAIL CELL

I'D NEVER BEEN CAUGHT BEFORE

For the first time in my seventeen- almost eighteen, I think?- years of life, I sat in a jail cell. At least it was cool enough to be underwater. I tried to stay calm, legs crossed, staring at Terris's older look-alike. "Why were you trying to steal the orb of Silverra?" President Irving asked, her words sharp and clear. They reminded me of Terris's when she was in a bad mood. I stayed silent as she stared back at me with dark blue eyes.

"Well sorry, cousin. Technically, as a daughter of a duchess, I'm of higher standing, but you have a crush on her, a lowly street thief- who stole one of my favorite clips and I'm still not over that- so of course you pull out the chair for her first and not me." Celeste remarked snippily.

One of the water dragons turned towards them. "Did you just say duchess?" He asked loudly, making sure the entire hall heard.

And then it was chaos.

It was a complete disaster, with dragons bombarding us left and right, Ironfang plowing straight through a crowd of them, Alistair fighting off a large water dragon with nothing but his sword, Terris begrudgingly protecting a squealing Celeste, batons tipped with lightning as she whirled through the water as easily as she would've done on the surface. I admired her fluidity, and I would've joined in the fray, but a feeling in my gut told me I had something else to do.

Glancing around and making sure nobody followed, I swam towards the parliament building, where a single silver padlock hung across a bolted door. I remembered what President Irving had said earlier about them keeping their most valued possessions in there. Swiping my lock picks out of my boot, I began to pick the lock, listening to the mechanisms twist and turn until I heard a satisfying click!

I felt someone sneak up behind me, and I turned and lashed out with my elbow, slightly sluggish in the unfamiliar water. I preferred fighting on land. Everything was much quicker. I still managed to smash the person in the jaw with a well aimed blow. I slipped into the room, spotting a beautiful silver orb on a pedestal. Silver energy swirled around it, pulsing hypnotically.

Take it, a voice in my head whispered. Take it, and it is yours, it said.

Entranced, I plucked it off, marvelling at it.

"No!"

I whirled around, shoving the silver orb into my pocket. Gabrielle stood before me, hands clenched into fists, mouth twisted into a snarl.

"You dare throw back our hospitality?" She growled. She opened her mouth.

"Oh sh*t!" I barely had time to scream before she opened her mouth, a blast of sound shooting out, vibrations throwing me through a window of sea glass. I struggled to move, let alone stand. She advanced, prepared to attack again.