UNDERWATER SCHOLAR TALES

TERRIS MARVELLED AT THE ARCHITECTURE AND CORAL GARDENS AROUND HER

She followed Gabrielle cautiously, almost swimming head first into a school of brightly colored fish. The array of colors was vastly different to the drab red and gold of Lukar, the place where she was born, the only place she'd ever been. The water dragon president guided her to the grand library, which Terris recognized by the parliament next to it. Gabrielle turned to Terris with a proud smile. Terris smiled back nervously, afraid their cover had been blown, but instead she opened the door to the library.

"I know a scholar when I see one, young Teresa." She said with a grin, pushing the door open. A small current sucked Terris in, and she gasped. "This is the biggest library and institution in the entire world, much bigger than any of you surface-dwellers would know." Terris nodded in agreement. Next to this monster of a building, the library in her own house was tiny. "I knew you'd like it."

They swam straight upwards, before diving down into the largest chamber. It was at least four times the size of her bedroom, and her bedroom wasn't small. Her eyes went wide upon spotting the neatly arranged piles and stacks of scrolls, lying in different shelves or cupboards. Somehow, none of the material was wet, even though it was underwater. "Whoa."

"I'm glad you like it." The president said cheerfully, dark blue hair floating in a halo around her head. "I met another surface dweller about thirty years ago, when I was still a young woman. He had admired this library as much as you have, if not more. He stayed with us for ten years." Terris nodded, swimming down and flicking through a scroll, curiosity consuming her entirely. Gabrielle laughed. "Most of these are true histories of all the dragon kingdoms, back when Volna and Terrande were still ruled by kings and queens. Who leads Terrande now?"

"Faraji Khari, with help from Prince Dagen Nightdrake." Terris prayed what Adara had told her was correct, and hoped that the woman wouldn't start rambling on about how monarchs were selfish and cruel. Some of them were okay. Adara was great, and Terris had faith that the fire dragon would be a brilliant queen. "I assume you know about King Felix of Lukar's attack on the kingdoms?"

"We are desperate." Terris answered, fingers crossed behind her back, spinning her ring out of anxiety. "With the prince and princess the only silver dragons remaining, and so many fire and shimmer dragons trapped by King Felix, we need all the help we can get, even if it comes from the monarchy."

Gabrielle frowned. "Why would a mage join a dragon's cause?" She must've noticed Terris's ring. "I can recognize objects of magic when I see them, and I can tell that you are using magery." She squinted, looking a little closer. "You are neither warlock, nor dragon, although you have the makings of one of ours."

"Me? A water dragon?" Terris spluttered. "I am only a mage. If I was a dragon, wouldn't I know by now?"

"You never know." Gabrielle said mysteriously. "You may be able to tell us water dragons by our coral-like hair, and our eyes as blue as the sea, but sometimes our qualities appear in other places. Our intelligence, for example. Like us, you are intelligent."