VOLNA'S UNDERWATER WELCOME

I'VE ALWAYS HATED WATER

It wasn't hate- but more like an immense dislike of it. Maybe I was like Ironfang, as I'd never learned how to swim, and fear made me uncertain. Or maybe it was the rain. Trying to climb buildings and get away from imminent death is a nightmare when it's raining. Terris, on the other hand, loved water. At least that's what I got from our conversation during the long trip to the seaside. I preferred riding Ironfang; I wasn't used to Starfire's slim physique, and it was uncomfortable to adapt. Thankfully, we soon got off, bid goodbye to the fire dragon who knelt by Terris's side and breathed into her ring before disappearing in a blur of dappled green. I wasn't quite sure what she did to Terris's ring, but it seemed awfully suspicious all the same to me.

According to Terris, Starfire couldn't accompany us to Dagat, the underwater capital of Volna, since she was a fire dragon, and I didn't blame her. Starfire was going to join Cecil and his squad in stealing the artifact inside Terrande, apparently. King Felix was, well, the king of Lukar, so why did he need to steal from the dragons instead of politely asking? Surely a king would be a better diplomat than a former thief like me. Perhaps my thievery skills were the true reason he allowed me to join the riders.

We stood at the cliff beside the ocean, staring down at the steep drop and the vast expanse of blue. Celeste finally asked the question that we'd all been thinking about. "Um, how do we even, like, go underwater? If only one of you has magic or whatever, or can control things with your mind, how the heck are all of us going to manage?" I stared at the girl, who had changed into a tight fitting dress that hugged her legs in the short period of time we had landed. How in Lukar she was planning on swimming in that I had no idea, but at least she was thinking on the right track. Flowing dresses were no good in water- it would flare up and slow you down.

Terris sighed, looking like she wanted to smash Celeste's face into Ironfang's back. I learned the hard way that it was incredibly painful. "Like this, stupid. Anapnéfste ypovrýchia!" She shouted a spell, ring flaring blue. She pointed at us with her finger, and we were immediately surrounded by the same blue aura. Well, all of us except Ironfang.

Terris then decided to jump off the cliff.

"Terris!" Celeste squealed, waddling over to the edge. I followed suit, peering over. Thankfully, Terris was hovering above the water, and not dead.

"Hurry up!" She yelled from below, her voice somehow more than a squeak. "I opened the gateway to Volna, so hurry up and jump! It's only going to last for a few more minutes!"

Celeste squealed, backing away. "No way am I jumping down there- eep!" I pushed her off the ledge, and behind me, Alistair yelped, fearing for his cousin's life for the second time in the same day.

Alistair gave me his hand. "Do you trust me?" He asked.

I snorted with a small laugh. "I think the right question is: do I trust Terris?" I took a few steps back. I grinned. "The answer is: yes, I do." I proceeded to shove him off the ledge, before taking a running leap off as well. Ironfang launched himself off after us, Brighttail curled tightly around his tail. Alistair screamed, flailing about and struggling to balance.