ONE WAY DOWN

I FELT SOMETHING LARGE AND HEAVY ON MY HEAD

I yelled in alarm, throwing my head back to dislodge the strange weight. My street instincts told me it was better to act first and think about it later, and they were never wrong. The thing on my head could've been anything. It could be one of Terris's mechanical spiders, for example. If I were ticklish, I wouldn't have liked that. If it was bird poop, well... It better not have been bird poop. Bird poop was disgusting. I'd had far too much experience with bird poop that was necessary.

I hit something solid that yelped and shrieked, and Terris cackled loudly from her dragon. "That's Alistair, you dolt!"

Starfire did another flip in the air, and trying to outdo her, I sent Alistair's dragon Ironfang shooting through the air, zooming ahead of the green dragon. Unfortunately, they caught up more quickly than I'd hoped. One thing that did annoy me, though, was the wind- when Alistair sat in front, his large frame blocked the wind. Now that I was sitting in front, I could feel the wind slamming into my face, sending my long braid whooshing behind me. I felt a little guilty for hitting him, especially now knowing that my hair was smacking him too.

You're the Queen of Thieves. Why are you guilty for whacking a prince with your hair? If anything, now you know that you can use your hair to your advantage in a fight.

Something terrifying came to mind. I didn't know. Why? Why would I feel guilty for doing that? I wracked my brain for answers, to no avail. Why? It wasn't like I hurt him badly, or like I'd betrayed him. Something even scarier popped into my head. It was because I liked him. More than I thought I did.

I peeked over my shoulder, spotting the prince yelling and flailing as he tried to regain his balance and not fall to his death. "Oops," I muttered. Okay, it was a little funny. There was a loud snort from Ironfang as he shook his head, almost throwing the prince off his back. Thankfully, I had a tight grip on the reins, and was squeezing Ironfang's body with my legs for dear life. It was the first time I'd been this high- we were above the clouds! The clouds! The highest I'd ever been before was the rooftops of the tallest building, which wasn't too tall compared to the Lukarian palace.

I peeked over my shoulder, checking to see if the prince was okay. He was fine, for the most part. Just yelling and flailing as he tried to regain his balance and not fall to his death. "Oops." I muttered.

There was a loud snort from Ironfang as he shook his head, almost throwing the prince off his back. Thankfully, I had a tight grip on the reins, and was squeezing the dragon's body with my legs for dear life. It was the first time I'd been this high- we were above the clouds! The clouds! The highest I'd ever been before this was the rooftops of the tallest building in Western Lukar.

Careless as always, eh?

I blinked. Where did the voice come from? That wasn't one of my thoughts. I'd recognize my own brain-voice. The voice that had spoken was deep and male, therefore obviously not mine. I listened intently as the voice spoke again, trying to locate it's source.