DINNER WITH FAMILY

ALISTAIR TAPPED HIS FEET IMPATIENTLY

He'd been standing outside Kia's room for well over half an hour- what in Lukar was taking her so long? Internally, he was a little glad he'd been kicked out, as he didn't have to face her wrath anymore. After Parsnip had came up and announced that his father 'requested his presence at the dining table', Kia had dragged him down to her room, where she'd screamed at him for a pretty long time. He hadn't been listening- he'd been too busy staring at her lips. She was hot when she was angry. Being yelled at by her was totally worth it.

He leaned closer to the door, trying to find out what she was actually doing. He heard Poppy speak. "Kia, dearie, just stay still. It's not too bad, honestly," the old maid explained patiently, "it makes you look more attractive by giving you a better figure."

"Not too bad?" Kia exclaimed loudly. "I'm not wearing that thing! It looks like a torture device! How do them noble ladies survive in these things? I don't think I could even breathe if you forced me in one of these! I'm already wearing heels! I'm going to die!"

Alistair snorted. Ah. They were talking about the horrors of corsets. This was one of the times he was glad he was male- he'd seen them before, and he'd ran away immediately. He guessed Poppy was trying to force Kia into a corset, while Kia was fiercely rejecting the mere idea of even getting close to one. "You're not going to die!" He shouted through the door. "It's only for squashing certain parts of the female anatomy into place!"

"Shut up!" She screamed right back at him. "You have no idea how this is going to feel!" She did have a point.

"You're dining with his Majesty and his Highness," pleaded Poppy, "you should at least look good. His Majesty does not have the best impression of you at the moment, and you should really try to look decent. Duchess Greenswick is also one of the most infamous fashion critiques in Lukar. If you don't look good, she'll send you back here with another even uglier dress."

"Who cares about the Duchess? She hates me already, so it really doesn't matter." Kia argued.

"Fine, then. If you're not going to dress well for the king and the duchess, do it for the prince. He's usually impeccably dressed, so you should be to if you want to stand by him." Poppy whispered something else that Alistair couldn't quite catch.

Kia sighed in defeat. "Fine, fine, fine. I give up. You may start the torture-" She screamed a little over-exaggeratedly. "Poppy!" She shrieked. "Stop lacing this stupid thing! I'm going to die!" There was a choking sound. "I- can't- breathe!" She screeched loudly. Alistair snorted. Some knight in shining armour he was- his princess was in trouble, but the metaphorical dragon was a corset, of all things.

"That's how a corset works, dearie!" Poppy laughed. She must've been tightening the laces at the back, for there was another shriek from Kia. The prince had always seen always seen Kia as fearless. Would a simple corset be her downfall? He thought about what other irrational fears she would have, while he waited for her to get dressed. After what seemed like an eternity, the door finally opened.