ACQUAINTANCES ARE ACQUIRED

I WATCHED IN AMUSEMENT AS LADY PINK WANDERED OVER TO THE SHIMMER DRAGONS

Next to me, Alistair sighed, disappointed in his cousin. "That girl never learns. Our taste is perfectly fine." I agreed halfheartedly as the shimmers began retreating at the sight of Celeste, then looked panicked as they realized she was getting closer and they had nowhere to flee. He snickered. "Look at those dragons go! Boy, this is even funnier than the court jesters father hired." I squinted against the brightness, spotting a smaller dragon in the center. The shimmering herd seemed to be protecting the smaller dragon from Celeste, but that just made her more determined to get to the center.

"Let me get to the middle!" The lady in pink stamped her foot impatiently, then howled in pain. I supposed that was what happened when one wore slippers with thin soles. I preferred boots a lot more. "Oh, just move!"

"You can't just boss dragons around!" Alistair hollered across to his blonde cousin. "You need to earn their trust and respect, and that takes time and patience!" He was ignored, and he groaned, burying his head in his hands. Defeated, he slumped to the floor, leaning back on Ironfang's side. Patience was definitely not Celeste's strong suit. He placed his hands on his crossed legs, looking as formal as one could while sitting cross-legged on the floor. "This is going to take a while."

I tried not to laugh at his awkward position. I joined him on the floor, leaning on his shoulder. "Since this is going to take a long time, I'll take the chance to take a catnap." He stiffened, but I paid him no mind, dozing off. His shoulders were awfully comfortable.

***

When I woke up, the sun was still blazing down on us, and Celeste was still screeching at the top of her lungs in that shrill and and incredibly feminine voice of hers. I was glad for Ironfang's massive form, as he had curled his body around ours with his wing draping over us, effectively blocking out the sun. "I hope you had a nice nap," grumbled Alistair grumpily, "My shoulder hurts, my neck is cramping, and my ears are ringing like crazy."

I smacked him. "Are you calling my head heavy?" I asked incredulously. Nobody liked having any part of their body being called heavy. "And why would your neck be cramping? I only slept on your shoulder."

He shrugged, looking away. His cheeks were slightly pink. "For your information, I took a nap as well." I gaped at him with wide eyes. He'd avoided my question! I was suddenly aware of a muscular arm looped around my waist, pulling me closer. I gasped as I realized that Alistair and I were actually a lot closer than I'd thought.

BICEPS! A voice in my head screamed.

SHUT UP! I screamed right back at it.

"My neck is cramping because you fell asleep on my shoulder, and I fell asleep on your head." I raised an eyebrow. "What? It was comfortable while it lasted."

The ground shook as a low, loud rumble sounded behind us. Alarmed, I squeaked, scooting so close to Alistair I was almost sitting on his lap. What did I do that for? I was the the Queen of Thieves, Empress of the Shadows... I wasn't supposed to get scared by loud noises and shaking floors, or princes who didn't wear shirts in the morning, for that matter. Most of all, I didn't just on princes' laps! Especially not crown princes I'd just napped on. I blushed a dark red, trying to cover my flaming cheeks with my hair. "What the bloody hell was that?"