FIRST OF FLIGHTS

ALISTAIR GROWLED UNDER HIS BREATH

It wasn't the first time he'd met an infuriating girl; his younger cousin Celeste had been pestering him all his life, and he'd invited Kia to the palace.  She wasn't the nicest of souls either.  He was fine with it, though. He'd rather her act natural and angry at him than treat him with fake kindness, like most of the other ladies who just wanted him for his position as crown prince.

Teresa Hunter, on the other hand, was a massive problem.  They'd had quite the unfortunate incident when they were children, and their immense dislike of each other had lasted years.  Before today, the last time he'd heard of her was when she graduated from 'apprentice' to 'scholar', and Father had forced him to attend the graduation ceremony, as his father and hers, who was the head scholar, had been friends for a long time.  Solomon and his daughter had the same blue eyes, that he could see.  Teresa- no, Terris, as she liked to call herself now- hadn't even attended the blasted ceremony! He scowled viciously to himself.  Why had his father even 'appointed' another 'babysitter' for him? Having Cecil was more than enough- Alistair was almost nineteen summers, after all.  As Terris had said, he should be fine taking care of himself.

Alistair stomped his way over to his dragon Ironfang, Kia following close behind, albeit looking slightly alarmed by his expression.  Terris may be fairly attractive, but she wasn't going to get away with doing this.  Besides, she wasn't his type.  She was too annoying.  Kia, on the other hand... 

Nope! He wasn't going to think of that.  Time to change the topic.

The prince hated how the scholar wore the clothes of a boy. With her mustard colored tunic, baggy pants and moss colored robes, the entire outfit made her look like a particularly muddy patch of grass after a rainy day.  From what he remembered, female scholars, although rarer than males, usually wore a long tunic-like dress that dragged along the floor, as well as the same robe male scholars wore, but Terris had awkwardly folded up the tunic-dress so it had many pockets and only reached above her knees.  He highly doubted she'd even asked politely to 'borrow' the pants.

Kia grinned as she finally caught up to him.  Poor thing only reached up to his shoulder.  Or perhaps that was good- he was usually dwarfed by Cecil, who was long-bodied and had equally long limbs.  "Well, now that Terris's off, does that give me an excuse to ride a dragon?" Her violet eyes twinkled with excitement, and she glanced towards Ironfang with a look of pure mischief.  Now that he looked closer, she looked nothing like Terris.  They both had black hair, but that was it.  Kia's hair was much longer and messier, and it was tied up in a braid again.  She knelt down, fiddling with the buckles on her boots.  "Well? Stop staring.  It's bad manners."

Alistair couldn't help but smirk at her comment.  "Sorry to burst your bubble, princess, but you're riding with me."

The girl stood again with a pout.  "Aw."

The prince whistled loudly, calling for his trusty silver dragon.  "You'll love it, though." In his hormonal male mind, his first line sounded a little wrong, but he was too lazy to correct it.  "It's amazing."