38

Amelia's POV:

"Try to break me all you want," I hear the echo of panting, "It won't work,"

My eyes open to blurry images, my mind slowly realizing my senses are all over the place. I blink a few times to see what's in front of me but I can't seem to get a grip of myself.

What happened to me?

I attempt to move my hands only to find out that they are tied down. The sounds of metal clanking follows and I find myself wincing. My eyes trail down my arm to see my wrists tightly bound in chain, blood staining the skin around them.

I then look to my legs which are under the same circumstance. Suddenly everything comes back to me. My head snaps up, looking around for V but I can't seem to find a single trace of his presence.

I scan the dark room to which I am bound to but am unable to find any sort of clue. Shortly after I can hear V's pained cries. I feel my heart stop as I try to free myself.

"Are you really gonna give your life for her?!" I hear someone shout.

"No," I breath out frantically.

I force myself to bare the pain until finally I free my hands. My fingers quickly lock themselves around the chais binding my feet together which doesn't go as well. I find a rock toward the edge of the room and start smashing it against the metal. Soon enough, it releases.

I scramble to my feet, keeping the rock in my hand as a weapon. I try my best to stay composed while I offer rescue to V, as I don't want to be reckless in this situation.

Every inch of my body aches as I press onward, trying to ignore any injuries I may possess. My heart races in my chest while my eyes dart nervously around the room. Shakily, I slowly open the door to a fire lit room.

I instantly notice several people all standing around something. Luckily none of them are smart enough to notice my escape, but one thing is for certain. They're all standing around V.

My mind tries to identify those with weapons but I'm too far into a panic that I can't see anything. I follow my feet closer and closer to the crowd of people without thinking of what I'm going to next.

"Shoot him,"

The words strike a cord in me, sending me running towards the people. I take the rock in my hand to the head of my first victim, screaming as someone takes a metal pole to my leg.

I fall to the ground only to spring back up again and take the pole for myself. There goes that one, I move onto the next enemy until I finally make it to the middle, panting viciously.

"Oh. You're awake," a girl standing with a gun pointing at V's head retorts in disgust.

"Shoot him and I'll rip you're head off in a half a second," I growl, dragging the pole as I inch closer to her.

"Then how about you," her eyebrows raise while she turns the gun on me.

"NO!" V shouts, trying to get up but falling back into a puddle of his own blood.

My heart flips upside down, the realization of how much pain he must be in flooding my mind.

"Shoot me. I dare you," I smile, watching her face twist angrily.

I watch her take the safety off and jump
Into action. Before she or any of her followers can act I already have her on the ground with her gun tightly in my hands, shoving it straight into her petty little head.

"Anyone move and I blow her to pieces," I look around and then to V, sending a worried glance.

"Plan B," I hear her mutter beneath me.

A load clanking causing me to spin towards the back of the room, her and her followers sprinting to an unknown location. I grab V and force him to his feet, practically dragging him while I search for an escape route.

"You have to get out of here," he wheezes.

"I'm not leaving you," I shake my head, still distracted with finding an exit.

"The hoard is coming," he pushes me away.

"So what? We're leaving together!" I shout back at him, attempting to pull him further.

"Milly. You have to leave me," V whimpers.

I turn around, looking him dead in the eyes. They're bloodshot and sunken in. He looks extremely sick. I've seen people look like this before but I can't accept that as the truth. There's just no way.

"Get your fücking act together and help me out," I cry.

"Just go," he whispers.

I can hear grumbles and footsteps coming from the dark end up the room. The hoard is coming and we have to get out now, and fast. If V can't move fast I'll have to create a diversion.

My legs carry me towards a can of gasoline despite my limp while my hands help to spread the deathly liquid across the room. It feels as if I'm not in charge of my own actions, panic is.

Next I use the fire to light it, sending a line of inferno across the room. Success. I've separated them from us.

I grab his arm and swing it over my shoulder. We both start towards the other end of the room.

"You already know. Just leave me," he grunts, clearly in a lot of pain.

"Shut your mouth," I whisper defensively.

"I'm already gone," He continues.

"V. Stop," I practically beg.

We make it to the door and daylight floods in as soon as I open it. I look around for signs of whoever tried to ruin us and focus on getting to safety. A fence catches my eye and I already know that we have to get over it.

It takes every ounce of energy left to get the two of us to it, and I barely have anything left to open the gate. Luckily we're able to make it to the tree line where we both collapse.

"Milly," V breathes heavily.

"Don't say anything yet," I pant back. Searching his body. I find a large bite mark on his arm and rip off a part of his shirt. Shakily, I tie it tightly around his upper arm.

"Bite on this," I tell him.

"You don't even have anything to cut it off," He says, a slight melancholic smirk upon his face.

"Says who," I take a woodcutting knife from my back pocket, remembering that I took it while grabbing the gasoline can.

"Milly," his eyebrows furrow in pain.

"I'm sorry," I bite my lip, getting ready to go at it.

"Look," he frowns, lifting up his shirt.

My eyes follow his hand, seeing large veins already apparent over his chest. The infection has already spread from his limb to his heart. And if that's the case, he doesn't have that much longer... and there's nothing I can do about it either.