37. Birthday Surprises

-1 month later-

Toby's POV

April 11th. 

Spencer's 21st birthday. She said she just wanted to stay home with me and Hope today since Jason's still out of town. But I think I might surprise her. I know she says she hates surprises but how bad could it be? She'll definitely enjoy this one though. I just know it.

-:-

I roll over and check the time. 10am, perfect. I carefully untangle myself from Spencer's sleeping form and knock a few discarded scrabble tiles onto the floor. I carefully creep to the cupboard on the landing. I open it and reach up onto the top shelf, the one shelf Spencer can't reach even on her tippy toes, and pull down a few gift bags. I place them downstairs on the couch and start making Spencer's coffee. 

As the coffee brews  and I put the bread in the toaster, I look around the living room. Banners, balloons, a stack of birthday cards and the presents. Maybe I put too many banners up? I set it all up after Spencer went to bed early last night after complaining about how nauseous she felt. I hope she's going to be ok for today. 

The coffee's finally finished so I take this as a cue to go upstairs and get Hope. She's lying wide awake in her crib, like she's waiting for me. When she sees me she grabs hold of the side of the crib and pulls herself to her feet. God, this kid has so much energy. 

"Someone's excited." I smile as she grins away.

"Is it because its mumma's birthday?" I ask her, as she gurgles.

"Mumma!" She giggles.

I carry her into Spencer's room and place her on the bed. Hope tumbles forward and lands on Spencer's stomach as she gleefully calls out her name. Spencer's eyes slowly flutter open and she quickly embraces Hope in a massive hug. Hope giggles but still squirms to escape the hug but Spencer's grip around her only tightens.

"Happy birthday Spence." I kiss her forehead as she rests her head on my lap. "I take it you're feeling better today?"

She nods. "I told you it was just the flu."

"The flu that lasted almost 2 weeks." I remined her.

She rolls her eyes before sitting up.

"I'm hungry."

I raise my eyebrow. "That's nothing new. Come and eat."

She nods and perches on the edge of the bed, stretching, as Hope uses her as her own personal ladder to slide down and off the bed. Spencer chuckles and grabs Hope's tiny hand as she wobbles along the hall and attempts to climb down the stairs. 

After a few unsuccessful attempts, Spencer scooped Hope up, much to her dismay, and carried her downstairs before placing her on the ground. Hope whined before catching sight of the presents and stumbling towards them.

"No Hope!" I called out, scooping her up. "They're for your mum not you."

Hope pouted, looking exactly like Spencer, before deciding to embark on an epic quest to the kitchen. Now we were alone, it was present time.

"Happy birthday babe." I said, sliding a small present I concealed in my pocket into her hands.

She gasped then tilted her head slightly to the side. "Thank you Tobes. But you know I wanted a quiet birthday. Just you, me and Hope."

"But we are having a quiet birthday." I insist. "Just with loads of banners, balloons, cake and presents."

"The decorations are lovely though." She whispered in my ear. "But I think you went a little overboard with the banners."

"Yep." I nodded in agreement as Spencer played with my hair. "But they were on sale so how could I refuse?"

"You do love a sale." Spencer smiled, threading her arms around my waist.

"Come and open your presents." I beg, glancing over at Hope who's tangled in the wrapping paper from one of the boxes. "Before Hope claims them as her own."

Spencer chuckles and seats herself down on the couch, coffee in hand. She stares at all of the wrapped (and one mostly unwrapped) presents, almost unsure of what to do. I can't blame her, this is probably her first normal birthday living somewhere where she's not being neglected, abused or tortured. I watch her tentatively grab the smallest present and start to unwrap it slowly. It revealed a small velvet box which she carefully pries open. Her eyes light up at the contents.

"Toby, you- I-" She's speechless and instead just holds the small golden chain in her hand and tracing the carved scrabble 'S' with her index finger. She hunches over and I hear a small sniffle. And then I watch a huge tear trickle down her cheek and fall onto the necklace.

"Spence, are you okay baby? Do you not like it?" I ask worriedly, placing my hand on both of her knees.

She shakes her head and buries it into the crook of my neck, soaking the collar of my shirt in seconds. We stay like that for a few minutes, before she pulls away and wipes her tear-stricken face.

"Sorry about that." She sniffles covering her blushing face in her hands. "That was so stupid of me. I love the gift Toby, I really do. I guess it just-"

"Brought up some memories?" I answer.

She gives a weak nod before continuing. "The last time I can remember getting an actual proper present was from my mum, before she got sick. Melissa made me gifts up until she disappeared but this was the only one I can properly remember in detail. I was about five I think and there was this new doll that came out-"

"Barbie doll?"

She grimaces. "For my business meetings! I had always made dolls with Melissa but this one was the first I really wanted. I never told my mum about wanting it though, but she must have seen me looking at it through the shop window and made it her mission to get it. And Hastings are really stubborn and determined. So by the time my birthday rolled round, my mother had spent 2 whole paychecks just so I could have that doll. And when I unwrapped that present and saw that doll, I was happy. I felt like a normal kid for the first time in my life. Not one who skipped eating some days just to save money, or who would wear hand-me-downs from her sister whilst other children brought designer clothes. And being normal felt so amazing, so freeing. And I guess I got selfish and..." She paused for a moment. "You should take the necklace back, don't waste your money on me."

"That's where there's an issue Spencer." I smiled. "I like spending my money on you and Hope. I want to. You're both worth every penny."

Spencer sniffled and gave a small smile.

Spencer's POV

I stood up and headed towards the bathroom. This is all just too much for me. And my emotions have been going haywire for a while now so that didn't help. I stare at my reflection in the mirror. I look paler that usual and tired. So god damn tired. I'm way overdue a holiday. Speaking of overdue, I haven't had my- no. I can't be. We've always been so careful. 

My rapid breathing and slightly blurred vision alert me that I'm about to have a full blown panic-attack. I collapse onto the toilet and rummage through the bathroom cabinet until I find what I'm looking for. 3 minutes. That's all it takes.

My palms are sweaty so I can barely grip the small, plastic stick in my hand. But I can still read the results. My eyes widen. 

I'm pregnant.

I'm back! Did you miss me?😊