7. Broken

3 weeks later...

Toby's POV

She woke up about a week and a half ago. I still remember that look she gave me when she first saw me. Absolute fear. Like I'd rip her limb from limb right there on the spot. It was heart-breaking. This girl probably has no family and the people like the police who are meant to be protecting her and everyone else failed. We may have saved her physically, but mentally she's broken. And I don't think I can fix it.

1 week and a 1/2 ago...

Spencer's POV

The first thing I see is light. It's so blinding. I turn my head and see medical equipment and hear loud, rhythmic beeps coming from somewhere. I'm hooked up to some wires too. Is this another test? Am I still down there? It doesn't look like it but it may just be a room set up, they've done this to me before. I try to sit up when I hear footsteps. I look up and see the blurred outline of a man with a dazzling pair of blue eyes.

Toby's POV

I hear movements form behind her curtain. There are guards at every girls door just in case and I don't know, but it just felt right to guard her. I pull back her curtain and see she's awake. I smile at her but she cowers away. I kneel down by her bed.

"It's alright, you're safe now. You're not down there anymore, I promise."

There are tears in her eyes and she looks genuinely frightened of me. She tries to sit up but fails and then tries to rip the wires she's attached to off her.

"Hey no don't do that." I tell her, but she ignores me.

I grab her arms as she starts crying and screaming and call for a nurse. Doctors and nurses rush in and grab her thrashing arms and legs as she screams and screams. Another nurse holds her arm still as she pushes a needle into her. The girl tenses up then falls limp and her head lolls against the pillow, her eyes shutting. Then the nurses and doctors readjust her wires and leave the room like nothing happened. How is that normal?