25. Copy and Paste

Toby's POV

I try to run to Spencer but a nurse hurries me out of the room. She quickly gives me the tiny infant before rushing back to Spencer. I sit in a chair in the corner and just stare at this tiny little creature, gobsmacked. She squirms in my arms before opening her little cherry-blossom lips and bawling. Instantly, my parent-mode switches on as I gently start rocking her. I've always been good with kids. I want a big family with the woman I love but she's currently lying unresponsive on a bed a few feet away from me and I'm holding her child. It's funny how the world works. The baby stopped crying and she looks up at me with those milky brown eyes, that are identical to her mum's, with a mixture of immense curiosity. 

"It's alright you little goofball." I whisper I her ear, looking in Spencer's direction where the doctors are performing CPR.

Gently, I reach my fingers towards the baby girl's neck and tickle her slightly. She gives a joyous gurgle and squirms happily. Same tickle spot as Spencer of course. It's incredible the similarities this tiny creature has to Spencer. Same fluffy dark hair, same nose and lips, same mocha brown eyes filled with curiosity. It's like someone did copy and paste Spencer as a baby into my arms. She wriggles and gurgles joyfully before yawning and falling asleep. She even looks like Spencer when she sleeps, curled up in a little ball. It's amazing she can sleep through all the tension in the room. 

"Night Spencer Jr." I whisper in her ear, before another nurse whisks her off to the baby ward.

With the baby gone. I can now completely focus on Spencer.

"We have a pulse!" A doctor screams, before Spencer splutters and coughs back to life.

-.-.-.Few Hours Later.-.-.-

Toby's POV

"Well the baby is perfectly healthy considering we-"

"Considering you couldn't find the baby on a fucking ultrasound machine." I yell at the doctor.

"Cavanaugh." Tanner says sternly before turning back to the doctor. "How could the doctors have missed this?"

"Well there's a number of factors actually." The doctor answers, pushing his glasses up his face. "I-Well, we all believe Spencer was experiencing a cryptic pregnancy."

I look over at Spencer, still out from the sedative. "How does it work? The pregnancy I mean."

The doctor sighed, readjusting his glasses again. "A cryptic pregnancy is when the mother is completely unaware she is expecting. There are little to no pregnancy symptoms and the mother won't gain any weight but may loose some. In this type of pregnancy there is little or no detectable hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in the mother's system. This hormone is what turns the pregnancy test positive. Spencer did actually gain a very small amount of weight, but it went unnoticed by us as she already had a very low body weight to begin with. My personal opinion is that Spencer didn't realise she was pregnant because of all the torture and stress she endured. It also looks like she experienced a 'period-like' symptom during her pregnancy called spotting which she passed of as her period."

I sigh, placing my head in my hands. "I understand how she couldn't have known about the baby down there, but you have equipment to see these kind of things." 

"Some babies won't show up on ultrasounds from their positions in the womb. It's very uncommon but it still happens. Oh and that reminds me, the nurses want to bring the baby in for some mother-baby time so when Spencer wakes up, one of you have a talk with her about it." And with that the doctor turns on his heels and walks away.

"Cavanaugh, do you want me to talk to her?" Tanner asks, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"No, no I'll do it." I say, before opening her door and stepping in.